Valmet.org Forum Index Valmet.org
Forum for discussion of all things Valmet

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

valmet m78/83s
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Valmet.org Forum Index -> Valmet General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clara

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: valmet m78/83s Reply with quote

I have a Valmet M78/83s that I am thinking about selling (no, it is not the one currently on gunbroker.com). On the plate, it says "valmet Made in Finland M78 7.62 x 51 Nato (.308 WIN)". Then above this it is etched M78/83S. on the other side of the plate it says ODIN INTERNATIONAL LTD Alexandria, VA USA. It has a wood skeletan stock. There are no scratches or signs of rust. It does have the bipod and a side mounted scope mount attached. I have 2 magazines, not sure how many rounds they hold, but are 5 inches long. There is no strap, but there are brackets for one. The finish looks good, but looks like the company was a little skimpy with the varnish near the butt end. It was last shot 9 years ago, but has been cleaned on a yearly basis and stored in a closed, dry place since then.
I have never sold a gun before, my husband passed away a few years ago and I am just getting ready to deal with the collection that he had accumulated, so this is my first try.
Any information, advice etc with dealing with this rifle would be appreciated. I have been all over the internet trying to learn about this rifle, then I found your chat room, so I thought I would go to those who truly know about the Valmet.
Also, this is the first time I have ever joined a chat room, so bear with me if it takes me some time to answer. Also, I am clueless as to how put pictures on a computer. Thanks for any help. Clara
AGG

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clara,

Sorry to hear about your loss!!! Sad
That is a Valmet 78/83S that you described (i.e., it is a factory M78 converted at ODIN as a sniper rifle).
My opinion, the rifle with the factory mounts and two (2) 20-round magazines would be valued at $3,500.00-$4,500.00, depending upon condition (factory box, cleaning kit and manual--- I know where 1-2 are--- would be a plus).

Using the "Search" button above, you can type in "M78/83" to find other threads discussing this model.

Just a suggestion, detailed pics would immensely help you in selling the rifle--- do you have a digital camera?
If you care to PM or post pics (especially of the left/right sides of the receiver--- or main body of the rifle), I or we may assist you.
As I have one, I am not in need of another.

If you need any other information about any other items that you will be selling (does not have to be Valmet), PM- button immediately below- me and I will help you.

Hope all of this helped. Very Happy

Tony
hfp75

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am interrested, put my name on the list of people to possibly buy it but pictures will be needed...... of the gun and its accessories.....

you can send pics to

hfp75 at shaw.ca
CelticSword
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clara:

If you are unable to post the photos, send them to me at steve@ValmetWeapons.com and I will post them for you.

You will get good advice from the members here.

You have a rare weapon for a Valmet and Valmet's are rare enough, so it will bring a premium. The price will depend on the condition (as Tony said).

Sorry for your loss.

clara

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, thanks for the offer for help. Will e-mail you the pictures to post as soon as my daughter down loads the pictures and sends them to me. Hopefully within 1-2 days. Thanks, Clara
CelticSword
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some of the photos Clara sent to me.

sniper_014.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  19.17 KB
 Viewed:  436 Time(s)

sniper_014.JPG

sniper_013.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  19.64 KB
 Viewed:  411 Time(s)

sniper_013.JPG

sniper_012.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  18.59 KB
 Viewed:  442 Time(s)

sniper_012.JPG

sniper_005.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  22.47 KB
 Viewed:  471 Time(s)

sniper_005.JPG

sniper_003.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  26.04 KB
 Viewed:  418 Time(s)

sniper_003.JPG

sniper_002.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  31.26 KB
 Viewed:  417 Time(s)

sniper_002.JPG

sniper_001.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  23.42 KB
 Viewed:  447 Time(s)

sniper_001.JPG

clara

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First I would like to apologize for the quality of the pictures I sent Steve to post for me. That was my first attempt EVER at using a digital camera, and I flopped terribly! I have resent more detailed, lighter pics to Steve to hopefully replace the fuzzy, darker ones that I sent. One thing I do not understand is in the close up pics, parts of the metal looks like rust, but there is no rust on the rifle. I did concentrate on the middle of the rifle, as I thought that was the most important.

The rifle does not have a box, manual, sling, cleaning kit or chin rest. This is how we bought it 9 years ago.

The m78/83s that is on gunbroker.com right now has a serial # only 3 above mine. Why does that one have a black stock, and mine has a wood stock? Does the type of stock make a difference in the value?

The scope that is mounted is called a Mauser 4 x 40 wide Electro Point Mark X. I have been all over the web, and cannot find anything about this scope. Any info would be appreciated.

I am trying to do my homework on this rifle should I decide to sell it. Any opinions or advice would be appreciated, as to value or rarity of the weapon. I do want to thank Hans, Steve and Tony for the help and information that they have already provided to me. Clara
AGG

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clara,

Thanks for the pics!!! Very Happy

My observations:

1. The markings and serial number = legitimate M78/83S.
2. The wooden furniture (optional?), especially the forearm, appears to be factory Valmet, and I have seen such on only one (1) other M78/83S, though I believe that the black furniture, with cheekpiece on the stock, was standard.
3. The scope mount/rings appear to be original Valmet.
4. Scope- no information.
5. Value

a) $3,250.00-$3,500.00 (quick sale);
b) $3,750.00-$4,000.00 (slow/no sale);
c) $4,250.00 (if you found the right collector).

NOTE: Hans (aka hpf75) has been looking for this model for quite some time--- as a courtesy to us all, $3,000.00-$3,250.00 to him would be greatly appreciated--- just looking out for a fellow, Valmet brother. Very Happy

ALSO: Do you have any pics of the magazines? Shocked

Tony
clara

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony, I sent the new pictures to Steve that included the 2 magazines that I have. Hans also received the same pictures. Did not have your e-mail, or would have sent them to you also, as you have been a wealth of information. Thanks for all your help!. Clara
GoodGuy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice looking rifle. Clara... There are multiple internet "outlets" that you may use to sell your rifle if you choose to do so including "Sturmgewehr.com" and "gunbroker.com" (auction site) and "auctionarms.com" (another auction site). We certainly appreciate your stopping by and reigstering with this site. Those of us who have frequented this website over the years (and we're biased, of course) believe this is the best place for Valmet enthusiasts. We certainly hope you'll give the members here a chance to purchase your rifle. I think I'm safe saying that any of the members here would give it a good home.

I agree with Tony's valuation estimates. These rifles don't trade hands very often, so it's difficult to put a value on it. With the two magazines, I think $3,500 to $4,500 would be a fair range.

If you are not a FFL license holder, I would encourage you to seek out one whom you trust for assistance in transferring ownership of the rifle (again, if you choose to part with it).

Lastly... If I was you (and I'll probably get myself into trouble saying this), I'd hang onto the rifle and enjoy the feeling and satisfaction of owning a relatively rare, desirable firearm.

CelticSword
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some moe pics Clara sent. The bolt and bolt carrier looks to have no wear. Very nice.

ValMet_009.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  20.96 KB
 Viewed:  405 Time(s)

ValMet_009.JPG

ValMet_008.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  18.75 KB
 Viewed:  411 Time(s)

ValMet_008.JPG

ValMet_007.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  29.21 KB
 Viewed:  430 Time(s)

ValMet_007.JPG

ValMet_006.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  33.03 KB
 Viewed:  412 Time(s)

ValMet_006.JPG

ValMet_005.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  31.7 KB
 Viewed:  397 Time(s)

ValMet_005.JPG

ValMet_004.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  24.74 KB
 Viewed:  404 Time(s)

ValMet_004.JPG

ValMet_002.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  19.57 KB
 Viewed:  408 Time(s)

ValMet_002.JPG

AGG

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

Thanks for posting the pics!!! Very Happy
Any opinion on the wood furniture? Wink

Tony
paget

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this adds to the wood furniture discussion I'll leave that to you guys, but I have an 78/83S from Odin in the same configuration with a wood forend and butt. The butt does have a cheek piece though.
AGG

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paget wrote:
If this adds to the wood furniture discussion I'll leave that to you guys, but I have an 78/83S from Odin in the same configuration with a wood forend and butt. The butt does have a cheek piece though.

Are your magazines similar to those above? Shocked
Can you PM me with your SN (or first 5 digits)?

Tony
hfp75

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AGG wrote:
NOTE: Hans (aka hpf75) has been looking for this model for quite some time--- as a courtesy to us all, $3,000.00-$3,250.00 to him would be greatly appreciated--- just looking out for a fellow, Valmet brother. Very Happy

I was quite happy to see this show up however I am searching for a black one as I have a 78 stamped all wood at home already.

H
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Valmet.org Forum Index -> Valmet General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: