Opinel Knives

For topics not related to anything else in this forum

Moderator: Tallin

GoodGuy

Opinel Knives

Post by GoodGuy » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:04 am

I just changed out my EDC knife from a Case (CV) small toothpick to an Opinel #5. It's my first Opinel. I find myself very drawn to the "old world" simplicity of the design. Life's too short to limit oneself to a single EDC knife.
Dallas

AGG

Post by AGG » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:37 am

Dallas,

I have never heard of these knives--- please tell us more!!! :shock:

Tony

GoodGuy

Post by GoodGuy » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:37 am

Opinel knives were designed and first manufactured toward the end of the 19th century in France. Most have a beechwood handle and carbon steel blade. The blades of the smaller models (like my #5) are held open by friction and have no locking mechanism. Larger ones have, again a very simple, locking collar that one must rotate to engage the lock.

I think my #5 only has 4 parts... a handle, knife blade, support collar and steel pin and retails for less than $10.

Opinel knives are still made by the family that started the company over 100 years ago. There are some stainless steel models and some alternative handle materials, but many users (including me) appreciate the original materials.

It's a honest, neat design that's quite beautiful (in my opinion) in it's unpretentios simplicity and utility. I've actually purchased several now, but the #5 (relatively small) model is the first and only one (so far) that I've used / carried.
Dallas

orgastiko

Post by orgastiko » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:50 am

They are my favorite knifes. I bought my first one in a small fishing shop in Saint Malo (France) back in the eighties. They used to be very inexpensive and they still are inexpensive if you buy them in France.

If they get used a lot they will become much harder to unfold. To open them you can knock the wooden end on some hard surface like a table or even the palm of your hand and then blade will come out a little bit so you can get a better grip on it when you want to unfold the knife.

AGG

Post by AGG » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:22 am

Dallas,

Those sound like some really neat knives!!! :shock:

Tony