WTS preban mitchell yugo AKM 762x39 $SOLD$

Place to buy and sell your parts and accessories!

Moderator: AGG

Tallin

Post by Tallin » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:29 pm

chawkpilot wrote:Mitchell imports were marked AK-47 as well as RPK-47. Same exact gun just different markings.

Good point! But there was a reason they stopped marking then as AK-47, and changed it to RPK-47, something to do with import I believe, but I honestly do not remember. I do know that very few came in as AK-47, as opposed to RPK-47. Either way, it's a very nice rifle! Maybe someone could contact Mitchell, as he is still alive, and find out why they made the change.

Eric
"Do not use a hatchet to remove a fly from your friend's forehead."
Chinese Proverb

chawkpilot

Post by chawkpilot » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:25 pm

I have/did. Unfortunately there is no rhyme nor reason for the random AK-47 vice RPK-47 markings. I think I have 9 or so pre89 guns and have owned probably that many M-90s at one point. I have had guns marked as an AK-47 then so many serial numbers later an RPK-47 then so many serial numbers later back to AK-47. Weird I know but I think they used a first in first out theory i.e. a whole bin of stripped receivers, some marked AK some RPK, and whatever the guy grabbed out of the barrel is what you got. Thats just my theory though and not gospel for sure. :D

Tallin

Post by Tallin » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:05 pm

AGG wrote:Eric,

I believe that Mickey is referring to AKM ("M" for "Modernized")!!! :D
All American Arms/Mitchell Arms AK's are marked similiarly, respectively. :wink:

Tony
I have been searching the Net, to try and find the answer. So far, the "M" has been said to have meant "Modified," not modernized Tony, but you are close and put me on the right trail. It all had to do with the 1989 Ban. I believe most had the "M," but some slipped through without.

I will find out more!! Like a dog with a bone!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Eric
Chinese Proverb

GoodGuy

Post by GoodGuy » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:34 am

For what it's worth...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AKM

I think that, in general, most people simply think of "AKM" as part of the progression of the development of the AK series of rifles. I remember that around 1988 one of the gun writers in the "Assault Rifles" series of magazines referred to the Yugoslavian semi-auto import as an "AKM" simply for that reason (i.e., stamped receiver model).
Dallas

JOEZETA

Post by JOEZETA » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:30 pm

chawkpilot wrote:I have/did. Unfortunately there is no rhyme nor reason for the random AK-47 vice RPK-47 markings. I think I have 9 or so pre89 guns and have owned probably that many M-90s at one point. I have had guns marked as an AK-47 then so many serial numbers later an RPK-47 then so many serial numbers later back to AK-47. Weird I know but I think they used a first in first out theory i.e. a whole bin of stripped receivers, some marked AK some RPK, and whatever the guy grabbed out of the barrel is what you got. Thats just my theory though and not gospel for sure. :D
Agree...Both considered Pre 1989

The " M90" Markings simply stood for " model 1990" .....a simple loop hole to change the then "Banned" import by name.......The M90's also had there Bayonet lug ears shaved off /touched up finish........Flashiders were Pinned in place, Night sites removed...... Fitted with Crappy almost useless Plastic thumbhole stock......They included a "Certificate" basically saying that these Rifles were part of a group caught in customs when the ban went into effect....changes were made to make them legal , blah blah blah.... Essentially the same gun with the noted changes above.......To a collector not as Desirable at the untouched pre 89's......

Most of the times the Original wood stock and Grip/sights.. were in the box with the gun , given to the consumer...some were sold seperately.

Yes, i love the original Yugo's !!

Joezeta

AGG

Post by AGG » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:18 am

GoodGuy wrote:For what it's worth...

I think that, in general, most people simply think of "AKM" as part of the progression of the development of the AK series of rifles. I remember that around 1988 one of the gun writers in the "Assault Rifles" series of magazines referred to the Yugoslavian semi-auto import as an "AKM" simply for that reason (i.e., stamped receiver model).
Dallas,

You are correct!!! :D
AKM = stamped receiver = increased production/less expensive. :wink:

Tony

Tallin

Post by Tallin » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:04 am

AGG wrote:
GoodGuy wrote:For what it's worth...

Dallas,

You are correct!!! :D
AKM = stamped receiver = increased production/less expensive. :wink:

Tony

Tony,

Mine is a stamped receiver, but marked as AK. I do not think the marking had anything to do with stamped or milled receiver. :wink: I am now thinking maybe the AKM designation was just used as an attempt to get around the AK ban, by calling it something else.

Eric
Chinese Proverb

AGG

Post by AGG » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:45 am

Eric,

Many of the very, early AK's imported were stamped "AK-47S" ("S" for semi-automatic)!!! :D

Tony

Tallin

Post by Tallin » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:04 am

Many of the very, early AK's imported were stamped "AK-47S" ("S" for semi-automatic)!!! :D

Tony

Tony,

Mine is just stamped AK 47, NO "S." Your thoughts???? :?

Eric
Chinese Proverb

AGG

Post by AGG » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:23 pm

Tallin wrote:

Tony

Tony,

Eric
Eric,

Possibly a very early import--- who was the importer??? :D

Tony

Tallin

Post by Tallin » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:01 pm

AGG wrote:
Tallin wrote:

Tony

Tony,

Eric
Eric,

Tony

Tony,

Mitchell Arms was the importer, which is what we are talking about, Is it not? :shock:

Am I missing something? :lol:

Also the pistol grip on mine is wood, not plastic. No idea if that means anything!

Eric
Chinese Proverb

GoodGuy

Post by GoodGuy » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:29 pm

Eric... I think most, if not all, of the Mitchell Arms imported Yugo AK rifles were delivered with (very) hand filling wood pistol grips. Some people like them; others don't. The presence of a wood pistol grip has always been one of the "indicators" to me that a rifle is a true pre-1989 ban rifle.

If you don't like the wood grip, try one of the polymer grips. You might like it better (many people do). I've tried both and like both but, for some reason, I have a hard time getting the polymer grip screwed on tight enough for my tastes.
Dallas

AGG

Post by AGG » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:38 am

Tallin wrote:
AGG wrote:
Tallin wrote:

Tony

Tony,

Eric
Eric,

Tony

Tony,

Mitchell Arms was the importer, which is what we are talking about, Is it not? :shock:

Am I missing something? :lol:

Also the pistol grip on mine is wood, not plastic. No idea if that means anything!

Eric
Eric,

Now I will have to check mine!!! :x :lol:
Wooden pistol grip = pre-89. :wink:

Tony

mickey

Post by mickey » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:37 am

geez, this is still a for sale ad!!! someone buy it instead of dissecting it 8)