Rare Galil Sniper

A place for Galils of any nationality!

Moderator: nib

Rare Galil Sniper

Post by 329 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:55 pm

Well! its been a short while; but wanted to share my new edition to the family.

I picked up the first Galil Sniper to come out of bond into the USA. This rifle came in with a batch of 15 rifles in mid 1986. 10 went to the marines in Quantico / 3 went to the Secret service training in southern Lousiania.

In the following few years; only 13 more came into the country; making it a total of 28 rifles (Most going to service departments). These rifles had a SN starting with a 9-208 and AAL underneath it; all in the vertical fashion behind the handguard.

The one I got came from the ex-GM of Action Arms. He took it out of bond and show cased it at the Soldier of Fortune magazines convention in Las Vegas (Sahara Hotel); September 1986; then was sent to the magazine, in which they did a article in April 1987 with it. He ended up takingit to many events and probably had 800 rounds down the pipe (200 of them in the magazine test). So I won't have any problems shooting this at all.

The rifle on the right; is the one I bought a year and a half ago.

The other one is built on a CNC Warrior receiver; that Denny modeled after a real IMI Haddar sample. Rest of the parts are true IMI; including the rare barrel - gasblock - muzzlebreak set up / true sniper scope mount. Jeff did the build for me and I'm thinking about going with modern furniture for that set-up.

Stay Thirsty my Friends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attachments
IMG_5318.JPG
IMG_5344.JPG
IMG_5349.JPG
IMG_5321.JPG

AGG

Post by AGG » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:33 am

You are the Galatz King!!! :shock:
I had always thought that there were 25 imported--- thanks for the specific clarification. :D
Why is the one serialized 9-200XXXX (correct markings)--- the half dozen or so that I have seen were all 9-208XXXX? :shock:
I have never seen the "tan" case either. :D

Tony

Post by 329 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:52 pm

AGG wrote:You are the Galatz King!!! :shock:
I had always thought that there were 25 imported--- thanks for the specific clarification. :D
Why is the one serialized 9-200XXXX (correct markings)--- the half dozen or so that I have seen were all 9-208XXXX? :shock:
I have never seen the "tan" case either. :D

Tony
Tony,
Great questions. The ones with the 9-208XXXX; were the second batch of 13 that came into the country. Those are the ones I have seen also. Since mine came out of a earlier batch (86'); when Action Arms just started with IMI; hence the reason for the lower numbers.
I also believe that 208 stands for 1988; since my research of the other AA imports (mostly Galils) started with either 207 / 208 and a few 209. It also corilates with the date codes on the barrels.

I have actually seen more tan cases than green or olive. That could also go to the years in production.

In April; I'm going to KnobCreek (for the first time); getting picked up by Jeff Miller (meeting him in person for first time after many years on the phone) and will have dinner with the ex-GM; in which I'll ask a lot of these questions. Life is short!

I always thought there was 12 to 18; but was un-aware of the 10 that went to Quantico (Marines).

AGG

Post by AGG » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:37 pm

Thanks for the additional information!!! :D
Jeff is the Galil builder king. :wink:

Tony

riderboy

Post by riderboy » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:23 pm

Those are some sweet rifles, love the folding wooden stocks too.