Feedback needed for making Wood R4 Handguards

A place for Galils of any nationality!

Moderator: nib

Feedback needed for making Wood R4 Handguards

Post by 329 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:21 pm

Hello in Galil land; just wanted to get an idea if OldSouth Gun Wood (SilverCrescent Industries) were to make R4 wood handguards to spec; would anyone be interested in purchasing.

http://www.silvercrescentindustries.com/about.php

Nathan has done a great job replicating the Galil AR / ARM Handguards-pistol grips, along with other furniture for other military rifles.

I sent my black plastic R4 handguard to them for riveting a new front metal bracket (front and rear are the same dimension as all of the other galil handguards); in which he will take the dimensions off of the handguard itself.

Pics are of my R4 build w/ original wood handguard / plastic handguard. The first thousand rifles sold to South Africa from Israeli; had wood handguards. When they started to make their own rifles; they made a black plastic handguard.

The black plastic is the same dimensions as the wood; with the exception of the grooves placement on the handguard.

I have discussed this before with him and he wasn't interested back them; but now since he is getting a real sample and if he can sell 30 to 50 of them; it is worth the time / money to produce.

Of course I need his feedback when he see's my handguard up close.

If I get enough positive feedback; I'll take it to the next level of putting a list together.

Let me know if interested!
Attachments
IMG_2661.jpg
R4.JPG

Tom Doniphon

Post by Tom Doniphon » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:48 pm

With all of the Golani's out there combined with the fact that you can just cut a new slot for the handguard retainer this should do well. I like the R4 I have with wood.

Post by 329 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:21 pm

Tom Doniphon wrote:With all of the Golani's out there combined with the fact that you can just cut a new slot for the handguard retainer this should do well. I like the R4 I have with wood.
Is it a build like mine? Do you have a pic?

Thanks

Update

Post by 329 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:22 pm

Spoke with Old South Gun Wood today.

Would need make at least 50 units with a minimum of 25 people committed to buying one (deposit?) at 150.00; rest going on the shelf.

This will take about a 7,500.00 investment commitment; mainly due to new molds to make..

If there was 50 customers already; they would only cost 130.00 each.

I don't think we could get this many people; but who knows.

I already have an original plastic and wood hanguard; but be willing to buy one.

If we don't get enough feedback; guess this can fade away.

Tallin

Re: Update

Post by Tallin » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:36 pm

329 wrote:Spoke with Old South Gun Wood today.

Would need make at least 50 units with a minimum of 25 people committed to buying one (deposit?) at 150.00; rest going on the shelf.

This will take about a 7,500.00 investment commitment; mainly due to new molds to make..

I already have an original plastic and wood hanguard; but be willing to buy one.

Have you tried Ironwood Designs? I believe they are already in the process of making these. I bought a wood stock and forearm from them for my Saiga 12, which was really nice! Below is the link to Ironwood.

http://ironwooddesigns.com/IWDHome.html

Eric
"Do not use a hatchet to remove a fly from your friend's forehead."
Chinese Proverb

Re: Update

Post by 329 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:44 am

Tallin wrote:
329 wrote:Spoke with Old South Gun Wood today.

Have you tried Ironwood Designs? I believe they are already in the process of making these. I bought a wood stock and forearm from them for my Saiga 12, which was really nice! Below is the link to Ironwood.

http://ironwooddesigns.com/IWDHome.html

Eric
Tallin,
Thanks for the heads up. I just spoke to Matt at Ironwood. He did start a project for making R4 wood handguards, but the samples he was using had to be returned; so it was never completed.

He said if i were to send my handguard in (see pic above); he would make a templete out of it and could make some. The only negative would be, is he would have to drill the original rivets out; so he could measure each half of the hanguard. I'll have to think about that one.

E. Blake

I'd love it

Post by E. Blake » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:23 am

I know this is an old string, but I would love to get ahold of R-4 handguards as well.
I know they're in the process of relocating their shop, but I will call Matt and aske whether such a thing might still be possible.

E.