AA392 Help Needed

A place for Galils of any nationality!

Moderator: nib

tcallre

AA392 Help Needed

Post by tcallre » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:05 am

Greetings Valmet People. Five years ago I purchased my dream rifle, or close to it. I wanted an IMI 372, preferably a safe queen with some rounds through it. I ended up purchasing an AA 392 that had lots a cool stuff to make the package very desirable. Lots of mags, scope mount, recharged night sights, IMI cleaning kit, ect. The rifle was in like new condition with a few hundred rounds through it. I found I really liked the compactness and balance that the 16" tube gave over the 18" 372. It made me forget not having a bayo. lug and not quite resembling standard Israeli issue. Also the fit and finish was awesome, I've handled a few 372's over the years and machine work resembled late wartime production, rough.
My dilemma: I have the chance to easily move this rifle to a gentleman in upper NY state, cool because it's a pre 89. From pictures he pointed out that there's an "S" stamped behind the 392 model making him believe it's a converted thumbhole post 1989 rifle. It's serial number range is 209XXXX and from one web page I visited it appears that this is in fact a post 1989 rifle that has all the evil features.
My question: Did some rifles make it through during this time with the evilness intact? Is this a post ban rifle that has been converted? Everything appears to be IMI and is installed perfectly: folding stock, IMI Galil flash suppressor, ARM bi-pod.
If this is a post 89 rifle the New York gentleman cannot buy it and it isn't as valuable as I thought it was. The good part is if it's not worth as much I will be more likely to keep, cherish, and love it, otherwise shoot the socks off it. Any help and suggestions with this matter will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
:?:

GoodGuy

Post by GoodGuy » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:01 am

For what it's worth (and this might disappoint you) ....

I have an old document that's a compilation of data related to Galil rifles imported into the USA. I can't vouch for it's accuracy or completeness, but here is what I have on the AA 392 rifle:

AA 392 - 5.56mm ARM, 16" bbl., 1-12" twist, no bayonet lug, Galil style
flash suppressor. Serial #s in AAL207910x to AAL207947x range.

AA 392S - 5.56mm "ARM Sporter", 16" bbl., 1-7" twist, wood handguard, carry handle, no bayonet lug, no bipod, but has bipod attachment pt., no night sights, threaded muzzle.

Some Action Arms rifles are Pre-89 import and some are Post-89.

The difference between Pre & Post rifles is as follows: Post-89 rifles have
the letter "S" stamped (sometimes crudely) AFTER the model number. On some rifles the letter "S" was added after the rifle was imported and on other rifles the "S" was added when the rifle was manufactured. This is not to be confused with "S. Auto Galil" stamped onto the receiver. Post '89 rifles have thumbhole stocks, no bayonet lugs, no bipods, no night sights, and no flash suppressors.

Based on the above, it sounds like your rifle is a "Post-89" rifle that was converted to "preban" configuration, perhaps illegally, sometime during its existence. If I was you, I'd consider it a post 1989 import ban rifle.

My suggestion... Keep your rifle and enjoy it.
Dallas

2manytoys

Post by 2manytoys » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:06 pm

I bought an "S" marked Galil not too long after they came out. I lived in San Antonio at the time & picked it up at a gun show from a company that was relatively new & made the gun show circuit to boost sales & drum up business. They called themselves CDNN Investments.

Anyway, the rifle came with a thumbhole stock,no night sights attached, & a "thread protector" for the muzzle threads. However, included in the box were the folding stock & roll pin, muzzle brake, & the night sights.

Springfield Armory also featured these Galils in one of their catalogs, but I don't know if they actually ever imported or sold any. They advertised the folding stock,flash hider & night sights as part of an optional upgraded accuracy package.

Good site for Galil info. This may be the page you visited, but I linked to it in case others would like to check it out.

AGG

Post by AGG » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:19 am

There are actually two (2) "S" models: :shock:

1. Large "S" stamped while in Customs (usually retain pre-89 features) with large box not labeled "Sporter";
2. Small "S" stamped from factory and shipped to U.S. (usually with post-89 features) with small box labeled "Sporter".

Here is the site to which Dallas is referring: :D

http://users.rcn.com/philistine/galil/G ... es%20Types

Tony

GoodGuy

Post by GoodGuy » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:16 am

That's a good site. I think it's mostly compliation from Brian's old (and original) Valmet website.
Dallas

tcallre

Post by tcallre » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:02 am

Thanks for the comments, I think she's a keeper.

AGG

Post by AGG » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:14 am

I believe it to be an excellent acquisition!!! :D

Tony

tcallre

Post by tcallre » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:25 pm

Thanks everyone, I'll be keeping her.