Left side of receiver on AA IMI rifles

A place for Galils of any nationality!

Moderator: nib

reloader41

Left side of receiver on AA IMI rifles

Post by reloader41 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:09 pm

Was recently looking at purchasing a Valmet M76 folder but because of unresolved questions about its heritage, I have decided to hold off for now.

I am now looking seriously at several IMI AA 392s. My question is this: on the left side of their receivers, just above the mag well is an area that appears to have been milled out. It looks very similar to the "lightening cuts" that I have on several of my FNs. However the finish over these areas is not consistent with the rest of the receiver.

I have heard that some of the AA imports were considered "transitional" rifles in that they had been imported by MR (which I guess went out of business), had been serialized by MR, then taken over by AA who milled off (?) the old serial number and put theirs on. Is this true? And if so, is that why these rifles have this area of very slight discolouration?

And finally, if this is all true, does the fact that these rifles have this discolouration, negatively affect their value? I would guess not, but you never know.

Thanks

Chris

2manytoys

Post by 2manytoys » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:06 pm

These rifles are true Galils & hold their value just fine. The milled area is where the Magnum research info was stamped.

ETA:http://users.rcn.com/philistine/galil/Galil_Rifles.html This is some good info for Galils.
Last edited by 2manytoys on Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reloader41

left sided receiver question

Post by reloader41 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:10 pm

Hello and thanks for the reply.

As I was driving home, it also occured to me that maybe, like my M1a, the milled out area was associated with mounting a scope mount. I dug around and found online a parts diagram that showed the milled out area and referred to it as a "scope mount recess", so maybe the area can also be used for that. It would explain the different finish since the overall black finish of the receiver looks to be an applied finish and it might throw off the tolerances of the milled area whereas its finish (which looks like a type of chemical finish) probably would not interfere with attaching a scope mount.

2manytoys

Post by 2manytoys » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:25 pm

I may have been too quick reading your post. The area directly above the mag well is a "lightening"cut/ scope mount. The smaller milled portion found on the transitional rifles is more or less above the trigger & is about 3/8" more or less high & a few inches long. That is where the MR info was milled away.

reloader41

left side of receiver

Post by reloader41 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:06 am

Yes, that makes a lot of sense. Now , the fun part.....getting a rifle and finding a scope mount for it!

On my M1a I bought a titanium mount from Sadlak Industries and actually took my rifle to them and worked with the owner of the company while he hand fitted it to the rifle. WOW is all I can say about this thing. So, going to have to convince him to start making the same thing for Galils!

Thanks again

run 'n gun

Post by run 'n gun » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:54 pm

The scope mount that was offered by MR which had the threaded rod/screw and the detachable tightening knob can cause the receiver to crack by forcing the threaded rod into it! One of the guys had his Galil replaced by MR due to that.... that would be a little difficult to do nowadays.

Disclaimer: Long time ago, memory fading, parts may not be described correctly. :wink: