Red Star Arms US Made adjustable Trigger for Galil

A place for Galils of any nationality!

Moderator: nib

Inkognito

Red Star Arms US Made adjustable Trigger for Galil

Post by Inkognito » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:56 pm

Has anyone installed one of these in a Galil? I just got mine and I see no way of making this fit. On my origianal IMI trigger, the rear of the trigger was open, but on this one it is closed up and has an allen screw for part of the adjustment that appears to be lock tighted so hard that I cannot budge it. Even if I could back that allen screw out, the closed off portion of this trigger sits right on top of the rivet that holds the trigger guard on so there is not room for that portion of the trigger to move down which means the trigger is basically stuck in the rearward position.

I was kind of excited about this trigger, but now it just appears to be another gimmick. I could care less about the adjustable features of this trigger, I just wanted a US made trigger, hammer and disconnect and this adjustable one has a trigger that most closely resembles the original Galil trigger. I could just dremel the back portion of the trigger off that is causing the problems, but then there would be no returning it. Any suggestions?

Tom Doniphon

Post by Tom Doniphon » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:41 am

I have used one before. The locktite should not be that tight that it will not move. Do you have a picture of how it is contacting the rivet. I will have to check mine. I have not used it for some time.

Inkognito

Post by Inkognito » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:11 pm

I contacted RedStar today and talked to a really nice guy who explained to me how this will need to be modified. I am headed out to the garage right now to get started. I was just not expecting to have to fit it this much. I thought there might be some minor fitting required but its more than that. I'll post how it goes later on. Thanks.

Inkognito

Post by Inkognito » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:50 pm

Wow! That is a nice trigger. Once I got started there really wasn't nearly as much Dremel work as I thought there would be. I was just very hesitant to start grinding away on my brand new $80 trigger set. But after talking to Randall at Red Star today, he assured me that he would allow me to return it if I could not make it work even after grinding on it. I had to remove a very small amount from each side of the trigger, about .01" total, a small amount on the back side of the trgger, and the most substantial amount I had to remove was underneath on the back side just above the trigger guard rivet in the receiver. I can post the exact measurements of how much I had to take off later along with pictures if anyone needs this info. Oh, and I also had to cut about 1/8" off the length of the trigger. Now its installed and that two stage feature is sweet. Great product as long as you are aware that it will require fitting and great service from Red Star.

Tom Doniphon

Post by Tom Doniphon » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:51 pm

I adjusted mine to have very little overtravel. After 100 rounds we had to readjust it. Has been fine ever since but it does not get much use.

Inkognito

Post by Inkognito » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:08 pm

Mine also has almost no overtravel. I actually did not need the rear-most set screw. I ground the metal to the exact fit that I desired (entirely by accident) which worked out really good because with that set screw installed the safety would not fit in. I would have to get a shorter set screw if I ever decided that I did need it, but I absolutely love it the way it is.