New guy looking for opinions

A place for Galils of any nationality!

Moderator: nib

ZEN.45

New guy looking for opinions

Post by ZEN.45 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:38 am

Hi there, just a new guy looking for opinions.

I have this IMI .308 Galil SAR:

I’m thinking about replacing the front guard with a quad rail from UTG or FAB and putting an ACOG sight on it. I’m just wondering about practicality of this set-up …

Any experience and/or opinions ?

GoodGuy

Post by GoodGuy » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:38 pm

Hi Zen... Welcome to the forums! Nice rifle and interesting idea. I personally don't like optics (especially ones with any magnification) mounted on the forward part of a rifle. Receiver mounted optics have always worked better for the type of shooting I do. Also, mounting rails and optics up front tend to make rifles muzzle heavy which, again for me, detract from the "liveliness" of their handling.

Receiver cover scope/optic mounts for AK type rifles aren't known for their stability, but I'd opt for one of thosre rather than attempting to mount a forward optic.

If you choose a forward mounted optic, you should consider one that is both light and has zero magnification. Aimpoint and Zeiss both make good optics that would serve you well.
Dallas

ZEN.45

Post by ZEN.45 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:15 pm

Thanks, I should have mentioned that these systems have a top rail that extends backwards:

I'm more worried about access to the charging handle, field stripping, damage to the gas tube, etc.

GoodGuy

Post by GoodGuy » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:33 pm

I see. I do not have any experience with the UTG or FAB products but, from my limited searching, it appears both are designed to fit a Galil. Because of that, I would think (hope?) there would be no charging handle or gas tube issues. I don't know how their installation would affect field stripping. Perhaps others here will chime in with their experience.

With that said and in my opinion (and you have to forgive an old man), Galils and most other rifles with quad rails are UGLY!

If you go ahead with your project, make sure you post some photos! You might change my mind.
Dallas

Cabhammer
Super Finnish Bolt Acton Moderator

Post by Cabhammer » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:48 pm

The rifle will be heavy. Galils are already heavy (especially nose heavy) so handling will be harder. A front pistol grip may offset this some, but you are making your rifle a standing/sitting rifle rather than a prone one, which kind of means using magnifying optics is silly. Stick with an ACOG, EoTech or aimpoint. The Aimpoint T-1 is probably a winner since it is the lightest. The new polymer body HUD sights are also probably pretty good as well. The goals is to reduce the weight if you can...
bqzhfrpthdq!vbsdk,mds +1char to email

D.Brown

Post by D.Brown » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:52 pm

Dear Zen,

I would spent the money on ammo and run it through your rifle. Knowing what you can do with it is more important than accessorizing.

It is an ak derivative, it alreadly looks tacticool without any additional stuff.

Dan
Jurisprudence, the daughter of philosophy willing to compromise herself for profit.

ZEN.45

Post by ZEN.45 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:46 am

Well, I just finished my little project ...

Got some 25-round mags too and I converted a few M14 mags to fit the galil. The ACOG is a 1,5x allowing quick aiming and when remouving the LaRue mount the iron sights can still be used.

For the purists among you ... don't worry, nothing was done to the rifle itself and a could change it back to the original configuration in under 10 minutes.

Can't wait to take it to the range.

M62/M76

Post by M62/M76 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:59 am

Very Nice, Enjoy!
I especially like that full auto position!
Mike 8)

AGG

Post by AGG » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:56 pm

That is an awesome rifle and setup!!! :shock:

Tony

D.Brown

Post by D.Brown » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:04 pm

Guess it is my day to be alot wrong.

That is a useful scope on a .308. Nice combination in spite of the fact it makes your rifle look very black and evil.

Thanks for the pics, and again tempting me to correct my neutered hunters.

DB
Jurisprudence, the daughter of philosophy willing to compromise herself for profit.