What I just got from Ironwood

A place for Galils of any nationality!

Moderator: nib

E. Blake

What I just got from Ironwood

Post by E. Blake » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:00 pm

Oh my goodness! It's finally happening.

I know I started yakking about this over a year ago (okay, so I was a little eager), but it is now a reality. Pictured below is the first of the new Galil model AR handguards to come out of the run that Ironwood designs is making RIGHT NOW!

These are on their merry way to me in Tennessee. As soon as they arrive and I've had a chance to get some tongue oil rubbed into them, I will mount them and post pix of my Golani wearing them. They are made of Beechwood, which is what the original handguards and buttstocks were made of. Since I've got one of the original buttstocks, it should match pretty darn close.

They're placed beside an original for reference.

I'm not trying to advertise for these, but if you do want further information and details, Ironwood Designs does have a website.

E. Blake
Attachments
front view.jpg
R-H side.jpg
bottom view.jpg
top view.jpg

AGG

Post by AGG » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:00 am

Very nice work--- what finish will be applied??? :D

Tony

E. Blake

oil rub

Post by E. Blake » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:16 pm

I picked up some tongue oil and will rub 2 or 3 coats of that on them after I've fine-sanded and steel wooled them.

The natural color of beech, once it's oiled, is a sort of amber/caramel. Because they are made of new wood, they may not match the buttstock precisely, which is probably 10 or more years old.

I'm not sure how the Israelis finished the wood originally--maybe I can do a little searching around and find out.

Pictures to follow as soon as their mounted.

E.

AGG

Post by AGG » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:38 pm

That should be awesome--- cannot wait to see the finished product!!! :shock:

Tony

E. Blake

a peek

Post by E. Blake » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:15 pm

Listen,

These are stil due a final sanding and steel wooling and then new coat(s) of tongue oil. And I am going to trim back the tabs just a smidge--so don't judge them by the poor quality of my pictures. They will (and already do) look a lot better in a couple of days when I've had time to really smooth and oil them.

But just to whet your appetite...

E.
Attachments
LH side mounted.jpg
R-H view.jpg

AGG

Post by AGG » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:16 am

That is looking great so far--- has that "ARM" look!!! :shock:

Tony

E. Blake

mounted and darkened

Post by E. Blake » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:46 pm

I added just a single coat of European chestnut stain to bring them down a shade. The beech is so hard that not much of the stain penetrates--just enough to "tone" them down to match the original buttstock a bit more closely.

Never mind the pistol grip: it's home made (well, in my garage, actually) out of Sycamore. Local wood supplier didn't have beech that was thick enough. The buttstock is original IMI, but Ironwood will be making these soon.

E.

P.S. Added a close-up shot.
Attachments
DCP03551.JPG
2nd full view.jpg
wood furniture AR.jpg
Last edited by E. Blake on Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AGG

Post by AGG » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:44 am

EB,

That looks great--- you really do some fine work!!! :shock:

Tony

E. Blake

much obliged

Post by E. Blake » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:58 pm

Thanks again, Tony,

Plz check your PM in-box.

E.

AGG

Post by AGG » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:04 am

EB,

Checked and responded--- thanks!!! :D

Tony

2manytoys

Re: oil rub

Post by 2manytoys » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:16 pm

E. Blake wrote:I picked up some tongue oil and will rub 2 or 3 coats of that on them after I've fine-sanded and steel wooled them.

The natural color of beech, once it's oiled, is a sort of amber/caramel. Because they are made of new wood, they may not match the buttstock precisely, which is probably 10 or more years old.

I'm not sure how the Israelis finished the wood originally--maybe I can do a little searching around and find out.

Pictures to follow as soon as their mounted.

E.
Those hand guards should really be able to take a licking. :lol:

The tongue oil must be a result of drooling, since the new hand guards really do look nice.

E. Blake

Thanks

Post by E. Blake » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:10 pm

Okay; I am saving this post to show to my kids.

They believe that their old Dad is the corniest jokester alive. I am going to show this "pun"ishing post to them to prove that I am, at best, only number 2! :wink:

(Thanks for the good words, though.)

E.

E. Blake

string broke!

Post by E. Blake » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:44 pm

AGG wrote:EB,

Checked and responded--- thanks!!! :D

Tony
Yo, Tony,

Some sort of communication break-down. No PM received, and mine aren't getting through back to you. Try wynandjudy@knology.net.

Thanks

E.

AGG

Post by AGG » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:59 am

EB,

PM'ed and e-mailed you!!! :D

Tony

mickey

Re: mounted and darkened

Post by mickey » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:26 am

E. Blake wrote:I added just a single coat of European chestnut stain to bring them down a shade. The beech is so hard that not much of the stain penetrates--just enough to "tone" them down to match the original buttstock a bit more closely.

Never mind the pistol grip: it's home made (well, in my garage, actually) out of Sycamore. Local wood supplier didn't have beech that was thick enough. The buttstock is original IMI, but Ironwood will be making these soon.

E.

P.S. Added a close-up shot.
you might try mixing up some artist oil paint , thin it and use it to shade the new grips to match the aging on the buttstock after you stain it. it'll take a day or so to set, and you can laquer or oil without removing the finish. i do this to antique furniture for a living here in scottsdale, a little patience and you can match almost anything perfectly. real nice job so far BTW