SBR'ed Golani? Am I Crazy?

A place for Galils of any nationality!

Moderator: nib

Tokarev

SBR'ed Golani? Am I Crazy?

Post by Tokarev » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:23 pm

Hello!

I've been after a Galil for some time now--actually after a SAR clone--but just can't bring myself to pull the trigger on a $2,250+ rifle.

I recently bought a newer Golani with the receiver that's supposed to be made by Caspian. Anyway, the gun appears to be assembled from fairly decent parts overall--no big rust pits--and I've had no real issues with it.

I've got about 500 rounds through the gun now and it hasn't failed to extract, chamber, etc. One thing I do find odd is that the gun feeds from a low bullet guide. This is a common problem with these guns from what I've read. It can be easily fixed with the addition of a little shim under the feed ramp. I'll try to get another 500-750 rounds through the gun over the next week or two and then recheck headspace.

So, I'm now starting to think that I might have actually bought a decent little rifle. I'm wondering about using this receiver as a platform for a nice little SAR clone.

Am I out of my mind? Anybody think I'm throwing good money after bad on something like this?

bigsleeze

Post by bigsleeze » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:43 pm

Tokarev: If you like it ,why not. My shooting buddies think that I am a retard for turning my Colt Sauer grand African .458 Winchester into a 460 Weatherby. It's a lot more fun to shoot and it turned out perfect. I have about 200 hours in it. It was impossible everyone said. Half the fun and torture was getting there. John
John Cangelosi (Living well is the best Revenge)

E. Blake

go for it!

Post by E. Blake » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:54 pm

I took my Golani to my gunsmith and he shortened the bbl to the length of an SAR and then permanently reattached the flash hider.

I've got the best of both worlds: the appearance is identical to an SAR, but with the flash hider permanently attached, it is over 16 inches overall, and thus, no SBR permit required.

The attached isn't a very good picture, but you get the idea.

And it cycles and runs just fine--even with the shorter bbl.

E. Blake
Attachments
folded.jpg

bigsleeze

Post by bigsleeze » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:23 pm

Far out dude. The look that kills. I'm thinking about an inexpensive .308. John
John Cangelosi (Living well is the best Revenge)

ttman

Re: SBR'ed Golani? Am I Crazy?

Post by ttman » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:08 am

have u actually done this? got any pics?
Tokarev wrote:It can be easily fixed with the addition of a little shim under the feed ramp.?

Tokarev

Re: SBR'ed Golani? Am I Crazy?

Post by Tokarev » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:30 am

ttman wrote:have u actually done this? got any pics?
Tokarev wrote:It can be easily fixed with the addition of a little shim under the feed ramp.?
The gun's at Tenngalil's shop now getting the feed ramp taken care of. I also asked him to give the rifle a good inspection and recut the mag well to accept a mag adpater and Orlites.