UTG quad rail

A place for Galils of any nationality!

Moderator: nib

riderboy

UTG quad rail

Post by riderboy » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:46 am

I bought a UTG quad rail system for my galil AR. It installed great, but the top rail really crowds out the cocking handle on the right side. Could I cut part of the top rail off to allow better access to the cocking handle and mount some kind of long eye relief optic sight? Does anyone know if this is feasible? (or stupid?) Thanks.

Tom Doniphon

Post by Tom Doniphon » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:08 pm

I think that will work fine. Can you post a picture ? I do not have a UTG rail yet but I want to get get one. You may also be able to get a Hadar bolt carrier or just modify one.

riderboy

The deed is done

Post by riderboy » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:51 am

Well, I bit the bullet and trimmed off the rail that extended back over the dust cover and I think it will work. It also allows me to get the dust cover off and access the innards without taknig the whole rail assembly off. I am not very camera/computer interface literate but I will try to get a photo. Interestingly, I noticed a photo in a recent gun mag of a Lefty Krebs ultimate AK and his rail system looks just lik my trimmed UTG rail.

Tom Doniphon

Post by Tom Doniphon » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:26 am

You see great minds think alike! Get us a picture of your mod!

Jaegerkommando

Post by Jaegerkommando » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:00 am

By the way, if anyone's interested - I have one of those UTG Quad Rail thingies up for sale. Its brand new and back in the original packaging. I decided I didn't like it, and it wouldn't really fit my airsoft Galil for some reason.

Let me know if your interested.
Two people are afraid of an empty rifle: the one with the rifle and the one without it. - Afghan Proverb

http://strikehold.wordpress.com

riderboy

Post by riderboy » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:17 am

Yeah, I just went with a gas tube mount from BSquare. Simple, good fo my aimpoint. I had my Galil so cluttered up with the UTG that it took away from the reasons I like it. Simple, reliable, accurate and easy to strip down. It's amzing how much crap you can strap on a rifle.