AK tactical top cover on a Galil?

A place for Galils of any nationality!

Moderator: nib

Jaegerkommando

AK tactical top cover on a Galil?

Post by Jaegerkommando » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:55 am

Hi all, sorry if this has already been addressed before - I'm new to the forum, but I didn't see it listed as a topic already...

Basically, I've found a rather nice AK top cover that features an HK rear site and an integral Picatinny rail - and I was wondering if this would fit on a Galil. I assume the dimensions are basically the same?

Many thanks if anyone can help!
Attachments
AK-A-19.jpg
Two people are afraid of an empty rifle: the one with the rifle and the one without it. - Afghan Proverb

http://strikehold.wordpress.com

Tommo

Post by Tommo » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:18 pm

It would probably be too low to work on a Galil.

JMikeSteen
Location: Sitting right next to a gator in the Everglades with a gun in my hand

Post by JMikeSteen » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:23 pm

Hi Jaegerkommando welcome to the site. Sorry my welcome is late you slipped in under the radar back in January. Great to have you guys across the pond to join us here. I have found over the years that most any AK cover will fit a Galil with varying degrees of tightness. I even have a Krinkov cover that I put on my Galil for fun and it fits very good. Do you have a fondness for HK sites? I have always liked the Galil iorns better than anything except the Garand/M14, I think that is the best sight ever put on a battlerifle. The other part I would question is using a scope base cover and why you would not want a more firm mount like the side groove or an extended rail type of forearm that would provide a more secure mount that would be more likely to maintain zero. But to get down to it, it’s still an AK, right? So really what are we doing mounting scopes other than dots anyway? I had a couple of scope mount covers that were made for the Galil that I sold on Gunbroker and they show up fairly often and they fit real tight. Here is a link to one of them so you can see what they look like.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =141813174

Good luck on which ever choice you make,

Mike
Presidential Primary - vote for 1 of 5 or so *hitheads you don't want.
Presidential Election - vote to stop the other *hithead from winning.
Result, it didn't work.