Are Century Galil Golani's even worth the consideration?

A place for Galils of any nationality!

Moderator: nib

Illuminaughty

Are Century Galil Golani's even worth the consideration?

Post by Illuminaughty » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:48 pm

These things would be the only realistic way for me to get a Galil, but everything I've read about them tells me to stay far, far away from them. Anyone have any positive experience with these things, or are they all monkeyed together crap?

Tom Doniphon

Post by Tom Doniphon » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:51 pm

With the Century GaliliIt would seem to be all about the headspace. From what I have read the receivers may be a bit too soft and they can grow in length. Gunplumber also noticed that some of the receivers may not have equal bolt lug alignment. Personally I think the the stamped receiver Valmet 76 in 223 is a better gun than any Galil 223 and they are much cheaper than a real Galil.

Illuminaughty

Post by Illuminaughty » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:02 am

Tom Doniphon wrote:With the Century GaliliIt would seem to be all about the headspace. From what I have read the receivers may be a bit too soft and they can grow in length. Gunplumber also noticed that some of the receivers may not have equal bolt lug alignment. Personally I think the the stamped receiver Valmet 76 in 223 is a better gun than any Galil 223 and they are much cheaper than a real Galil.
Where can model 76's be had and for how much? Is it worth spending a good deal more to get a 76 instead of a 71?

bigsleeze

Post by bigsleeze » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:48 am

I read somewhere that the 71 has some kind of sight problem or problem in that area with stability. Please correct me if I was misinformed. I'm considering a 76 in .223. I've seen them around for as low as $1200.00 very recently on GunBroker. John
John Cangelosi (Living well is the best Revenge)

Illuminaughty

Post by Illuminaughty » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:53 am

bigsleeze wrote:I read somewhere that the 71 has some kind of sight problem or problem in that area with stability. Please correct me if I was misinformed. I'm considering a 76 in .223. I've seen them around for as low as $1200.00 very recently on GunBroker. John
1200 isn't too bad. I figured I'd be lucky to find one in the 1,600 dollar range.

Tom Doniphon

Post by Tom Doniphon » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:25 pm

Yep $1200 is good!

Roger Nuss

Post by Roger Nuss » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:49 pm

So, you have a 2500.00 Galil with 20.00 mags, or a 1200.00-1400.00 Valmet........with hundred dollar mags. hmm.....

nate

valmet vs galil mags

Post by nate » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:16 pm

:D hey robert working on jig to convert hk 93 mags to m78 mags and other mags should not be that hard , small horizontal milling machine biggest problem most are to big. i had used one in high school in 1970's I like the high cap mags for my m-78
nathan

E. Blake

Enjoying mine

Post by E. Blake » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:08 pm

I've only got two of the Century Golanis, but I'm enjoying both of them. They each had minor issues that took my gunsmith about 30 minutes to fix.

One of them was built on a receiver that had a mag well that was a squillioneth out of spec, so it was bending the metal mags when I would seat them. He milled it out ever so slightly and there is no problem whatsoever now. On the other one, whoever had been given the job to parkerize it was a little careless and the chamber was parkerized. Of course this presented a bit of a "friction" issue, and was causing casings to be reluctant to extract. About 3 minutes of polishing gave me a nice shiny, no-stick chamber and now number 2 is working fine.

Was it worth the bother and the $75 to get them both running perfectly?

Well, let's see: 2 CAI Golanis delivered, out the door from the dealer for under $660 apiece.

Yeah...I'm thinking I'm still in real good shape here.

Oh, and here's a nice little P.S. you might think about. I just received the attached pictures from Matt at Ironwood Design. They are of the set of Beechwood AR-model Galil handguards that I'm about to purchase! That's right Pilgrims! They're finally going into production!

He will be selling complete sets, for those who want to send him the metal out of old beater guards (or the old beater handguards themeselves) with the panels installed on their metal--after he has sandblasted and refinished the metal. Or he will also just sell the pre-drilled panels to anyone who would rather just mount them on their old metal at home.

Check out his website (Ironwood Design). These are made of the same hardwood that original Galil furniture was made of, so if you've got an original buttstock, they'll match.

ARM (cut for the bi-pod) model guards will be out as soon as the initial run is complete, as well as the longer bi-pod version (for the So. African R-4 model).

Hoo-rah!

E. Blake

P.P.S. As soon as they arrive, I will run home from work, rip open the box, mount them on my rifle, take tons of pictures, and post them on this site.
Attachments
Beech Galil HGs.jpg
Galil AR model handguards.jpg

madman201

Post by madman201 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:41 pm

Well I just ordered a Galil from J&G Sales and I'm hoping that I did not screw up. Since this is a Century Arms receive does anyone know were I can get an adapter so I can use my AR-15 mags?

Thanks Rob

E. Blake

You'll be okay

Post by E. Blake » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:35 pm

No, I don't think you "screwed up."

Let's say there is some minor problem and you spend another $30 or $40 to get it fixed. Now how much have you invested in a nice-looking, robust, very close clone of a classic assault rifle?

Now, go over to Gun Broker and look at how much you'd pay for an original.

As you can see, even if there are a few minor issues to be resolved (and, by the way, I've found J&G and Century to both be very good in terms of customer relations), you are still way ahead of the game. You can buy a lot of bullets for what you saved by getting the Golani.

At least, that's how I look at it.

Best of luck.

E.

madman201

Post by madman201 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:57 pm

Thanks a lot... I know there is no way i could afford the real thing and to have this and an AR-15 both under 1k does not get my wife to mad either.

any idea on adapters so I can use AR-15 Mags?

Thanks Rob

E. Blake

That's an ouchy!

Post by E. Blake » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:38 pm

Amigo,

I wish I had some happy news to tell you, but the fact is, you can probably buy about 4 or 5 original Galil mags for what you're gonna pay for a mag adapter that will let you use AR mags.

At one time, they could be had for less than $50, but now everybody that has one is just real proud of it. When I've seen them for sale on GunBroker and similar sites, I go right out and buy two more Galil mags and congratulate myself on the money I've saved.

E.

P.S. You are wise, grasshopper, to keep your firearm purchases below the spousal approval level. I really like my Golanis, but I sure wouldn't want to have to sleep with them!

Tom Doniphon

Post by Tom Doniphon » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:03 pm

Use Galil mags and be happy!

E. Blake

Uncanny resemblance

Post by E. Blake » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:38 pm

Am I the only one who thinks that Tom looks like John Wayne?

E.