Shotgun Ammunition

The place to find good reasons to buy ammo!

Moderator: Tom Doniphon

GoodGuy

Shotgun Ammunition

Post by GoodGuy » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:39 am

I've recently counted my ammunition inventory and have decided that I probably need to increase my supply of 12 gauge shotgun ammo. I could use some advice. All of my shotguns are modern and chambered for 12 gauge loads. Two have 3" chambers, and one has a 2 3/4" chamber. I'm primarily interested in self-defense type loads, but I sometimes shoot "varmints" (raccoons, 'possums, and the like). I don't plan on hunting any "big game" or water fowl. I also don't like the recoil of 3" magnum buckshot loads. I'd like to know your opinions as to what to purchase (loads, brands, etc.) and how best to store the ammo.
Dallas

Cabhammer
Super Finnish Bolt Acton Moderator

Post by Cabhammer » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:18 pm

There was great deals on Winchester Ranger 00 Buck (Reduced Recoil LE load) for like $2.00 a box recently. I also notice that Walmart has discounts on number 4 and 5 shot turkey loads, in 3 and 3.5 inch chamberings, which would work pretty good in an inside defense situation. They were like $5.50 for a box of 10 shels, which is pretty good. I imagine #4 or 5 would work great against varmints up to dog size.
bqzhfrpthdq!vbsdk,mds +1char to email

GoodGuy

Post by GoodGuy » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:20 pm

Agreed. I think I'll get some of the 2/3/4" reduced recoil 00 buckshot loads (8 pellets), some #4 buckshot loads, some slugs and a variety of birdshot loads.
Dallas