Why is there a Beer Keg Stamped on my M76 .223 Folder?

Discussion forum for all things Valmet!

Moderator: AGG

Robert @ RTG Parts

Why is there a Beer Keg Stamped on my M76 .223 Folder?

Post by Robert @ RTG Parts » Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:44 pm

I recently bought a Valmet M76 .223 Tube Folder and I found it has a round symbol "Beer Keg" stamped on the side. I have asked around and found a couple different explanations. First there was a Finnish Beer Brewery that used 76 folders to guard the property (must have been real good beer). And second that it was a mark from the Finnish Coast Guard.

Is either answer anywhere near being correct? And just what is the truth regarding this mark?
Here is a picture:

http://www.robertrtg.com/valmet.jpg
www.RobertRTG.com for all your HK & MG Parts at amazingly low prices

gotto

Post by gotto » Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:36 pm

I have a M76 .223 wood stock with the "beer keg" PHT logo on the side of the receiver. I wrote to a gun writer in Finland that seems to know his "stuff" about Valmets and supposedly knew the Valmet people quite well. He said the beer brewery rumor is simply not true. However, he did say that Valmet made M76 .223 rifles for the Indonesian Coast Guard and only in a semi-auto format. They had PHT on the side. True? Who knows for sure. That's part of the "mystery" of Valmet ownership and enjoyment. If my name was Paul H. Taft, but it's not, I could say it was especially built for me with my initials on the side! :D

Tom Doniphon

Post by Tom Doniphon » Mon Sep 22, 2003 11:20 pm

I was talking to Gunplumber and he has his version of this story. I don't know what it is but I'll tell him we must know...........

Ed Zeppelin

Your 76 was part of a special run for a Beer Company

Post by Ed Zeppelin » Tue Sep 23, 2003 4:03 pm

That's what I was told a couple of years ago.

gotto

Post by gotto » Sat Oct 04, 2003 8:05 am

I dug out the information I have about the PHT "beer keg" logo found on a very few Valmet M76 .223 rifles imported into the U.S.A. Here goes....

On 12/30/02 I wrote to Mr. Timo Hyytinen in Finland. I was advised he was an expert regarding the Finnish Valmet line of rifles and was a famous firearm reviewer/writer in Finland. I told Mr. Hyytinen that the U.S.A. rumor was these "beer keg" marked rifles were used by security personnel at a Finnish company, and likely a beer manufacturer. His reply was as follows:

"Hello Gary! The logo you asked (about) was used ONLY in rifles for Indonesian Coastguard (in) about 1980('s). Valmet model was 222rk76SP - 217170 (which) means semiautomatic kal. .222Rem wooden stock. Quantity made was a few thousand. I don't remember exactly at this moment...Sincerely, Timo Hyytinen"

Later I learned that just a very few of these rifles made it to the United States to fill U.S.A. orders. If anyone has one of these rifles, please let me know. I believe they are quite rare with, perhaps, only a handful currently owned by some Valmet enthusiasts.

Robert @ RTG Parts

Post by Robert @ RTG Parts » Sat Oct 04, 2003 2:45 pm

Hey Gotto thank you for posting that information. I really appreciate you sharing the research you did. I have one “beer Keg” as I posted before and I saw one other in the past...but I can't remember who had it. Do you have one?
Indonesian Coastguard symbol is cool and all but I’m still going to call it a Beer Keg or Vodka Barrel ;-)
www.RobertRTG.com for all your HK & MG Parts at amazingly low prices

gotto

Post by gotto » Sat Oct 04, 2003 7:40 pm

Robert:

Yes, I have one. I was very fortunate. A gentleman sold me a Valmet M76 .223 in new condition. When it arrived it had the PHT logo, so I was really confused. That's when I did the research. I still have the email I received from Timo in Finland. I cannot firmly guarantee he is 100% accurate, but he sure seems to "know his stuff" about Valmets.

Glad I could help my fellow Valmet fans!

Gotto

TeamAFX

Post by TeamAFX » Mon Oct 13, 2003 3:04 am

There was a Beer Keg M76 223 folder at Knob Creek for sale. It came with one 30 rounder and was in 98% for $1700. A bit much but its the only one I have ever seen. To late to cry about it now.

Steve

Sako95
Site Admin

Post by Sako95 » Mon Oct 13, 2003 8:41 am

What TeamAFX! You mean you didnt buy it for $1700 and then found out it came with 50-30rd mags and ten bayonets? ;-)

AKE

Post by AKE » Fri Dec 19, 2003 9:56 am

Hey Tom!

Robert!! Holy cow guys. I don't beleive this but I have one of these brand spanking NIB. Yes there is a beer keg on the side. To the person who contacted Timo, he is for real and an expert on the history of these rifles. In plain speak, the go to guy!!

Hi Timo!! I have one and the cosmoline has turned the rifle Green, my tritum still glows bright green. This M76 is safe queen NIB. I never noticed the keg. Wow these were the ones first imported into Elmston NY, the importers name is too light so you can't make it out.

Wow I have the original everything for this rifle. But I can't seem to find the cleaning kit as I forgot what it looks like, any ideas. Maybe I can by one? I'm guessing it either in a box somewhere in the warehouse.
AKE
Helpful and a nice person too!

Sako95
Site Admin

Post by Sako95 » Sat Dec 20, 2003 10:22 pm

First post after returning from Lap Land....Back to the grind.

Probably to obvious a place but did you check inside the buttstock for the cleaning kit?

Sako95

AKE

Post by AKE » Sun Dec 21, 2003 5:26 am

Yeah I checked that first. Nada.
AKE
Helpful and a nice person too!

Tom Doniphon

Post by Tom Doniphon » Thu Dec 25, 2003 5:25 pm

Yeah I lost mine for a while till I looked in the original Valmet box. Damn thing was hiding right where it was supposed to be. We need to post some pictures of the "beer keg" guys.

chee-to

Post by chee-to » Mon May 03, 2004 7:27 am

Hi,
Just joined today..I have a beer keg 76F in about 98% also, just bought it off Guns America . Payed $1100.00 with one 30 rnd. mag plus shipping ,thought it was great price. I didn't notice the keg till I read this thread ...Wonder how many came in??

Bob....

gotto

Post by gotto » Sat May 08, 2004 9:21 pm

Chee-to:

Not many of the "beer keg" M76's made it to the USA. You're lucky to own one. I know of only four or five people that own them. Enjoy and welcome to the board!