Valmet Petra hunting rifle...

Discussion forum for all things Valmet!

Moderator: AGG

bulm5

Valmet Petra hunting rifle...

Post by bulm5 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:25 pm

Hello all,

Here is my Valmet Petra .308 purchased in Germany, the rifle is very good and hard hitting on hogs...
I replaced the wood stock with an ATI foldable stock and swapped the handguard with an UTG quad rail for flashlight and bipod, not very pretty but functional and scratch-free in the dense woods where I hunt, I keep the wood parts in reserve in the eventuality that I need to sell the rifle. I hunt with or without a red dot Redfield counterstrike scope, usually without, as the rifle is heavy enough as it is, and the rifle is precise enough with iron sights...next step is to find a proper suppressor to hunt quietly, I do not want to thread the barrel so currently testing out various barrel attachments. Would love to find a night scope for it too...(planning to purchase the ATN X sight II). only good things to say about the Valmet Petra, very well designed and finished, sturdy, practical, efficient, precise...love that rifle. I have a 5, 10 and two 20 rnds mags for it (one is a HK G3 modified mag apparently), only problem is the dovetail rail, not the best option, could fit a side mount I saw on internet, but it will add weight and I do not want to drill the rifle.
20180320_174908a.jpg
20180225_191748a.jpg
Regards,

Fred
Attachments
20180513_145950a.jpg

GoodGuy

Re: Valmet Petra hunting rifle...

Post by GoodGuy » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:35 pm

Welcome to the site. Your rifle looks great!
Dallas

AGG

Post by AGG » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:47 am

Welcome to the site--- very nice rifle and setup!!! :D

Tony

Tommo

Post by Tommo » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:35 pm

Cool looking rifle, thanks for posting.

zeleny

Post by zeleny » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:38 pm

bulm5 wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:25 pm
Hello all,

Here is my Valmet Petra .308 purchased in Germany, the rifle is very good and hard hitting on hogs...
I replaced the wood stock with an ATI foldable stock and swapped the handguard with an UTG quad rail for flashlight and bipod, not very pretty but functional and scratch-free in the dense woods where I hunt, I keep the wood parts in reserve in the eventuality that I need to sell the rifle. I hunt with or without a red dot Redfield counterstrike scope, usually without, as the rifle is heavy enough as it is, and the rifle is precise enough with iron sights...next step is to find a proper suppressor to hunt quietly, I do not want to thread the barrel so currently testing out various barrel attachments. Would love to find a night scope for it too...(planning to purchase the ATN X sight II). only good things to say about the Valmet Petra, very well designed and finished, sturdy, practical, efficient, precise...love that rifle. I have a 5, 10 and two 20 rnds mags for it (one is a HK G3 modified mag apparently), only problem is the dovetail rail, not the best option, could fit a side mount I saw on internet, but it will add weight and I do not want to drill the rifle.

20180320_174908a.jpg20180225_191748a.jpg

Regards,

Fred
Is that an adapter between the slanted receiver and the ATI stock?
Michael@massmeans.com | Zeleny@post.harvard.edu | 7576 Willow Glen Road, Los Angeles, CA 90046 | 323.363.1860 | http://www.subrah.com | http://larvatus.livejournal.com

frederic.degeilh@brinksin

Post by frederic.degeilh@brinksin » Fri May 15, 2020 11:04 am

Hi Zeleny, sorry for late reply, no spacer is fitted between the ATI stock and the receiver! it does fit quite well without any adjustment or spacer, but there is a visible gap because the stock is originally supposed to insert into the receiver of a shotgun via an adapter, the straight fit actually helps in keeping the fit very tight, the stock is not moving sideways at all, thanks to a good fit between the trigger guard and pistol grip, the trigger guard is fitting well into the curve of the pistol grip and the ergonomic is perfect, to be honest this is pure luck, I tried to fit this ATI stock thinking this will never go, well but when I tightened up the screw and took the rifle for a trial it was just perfect....this setup is probably not that pretty due to the original shape of the wood butt-stock on the receiver, but this way I can keep the wood parts in good condition in reserve, I now also fitted a new setup to replace the forehand to save on weight and replace the wood and allow to fit a laser and flashlight, and also fitted a very effective JAKI suppressor (made in Finland) I am quite satisfied with the setup now...cheers
Attachments
Valmet version 3 (13).jpg
Valmet version 3 (12).jpg
Valmet version 3 (11).jpg
Valmet version 3 (9).jpg
Valmet version 3 (8).jpg
Valmet version 3 (4).jpg
Valmet version 3 (1).jpg

zeleny

Post by zeleny » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:50 pm

Thanks for your response. Is this the piece?

Strikeforce AK-47 Stock

Looks different than the unit in your photos.
Michael@massmeans.com | Zeleny@post.harvard.edu | 7576 Willow Glen Road, Los Angeles, CA 90046 | 323.363.1860 | http://www.subrah.com | http://larvatus.livejournal.com