Valmet M76 Gunsmith Search

Discussion forum for all things Valmet!

Moderator: AGG

Shabooms

Valmet M76 Gunsmith Search

Post by Shabooms » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:06 pm

Hey all,

Recently joined the group since I finally acquired a Valmet M76 awhile back. Been wanting one for a long time. Definitely loving the gun! I had a question on finding a very reliable, detailed and reputable gunsmith to work on my Valmet. I am not a handy person, so I wanted to find a gunsmith that you all have possibly worked with or know. This gun is kind of my baby, so I wanted to do my homework and find a really good place to take it to.

I have the wood stock version and I would really love to put a Galil style side folder stock on it (I know, sacrilege). I wanted to convert it in a way that doesn't compromise the integrity of the gun (i.e. -- permanent drilling, shaving, cutting, etc.). Ideally, I'd like to be able to put the wood stock back on if I wanted without any issue of changing the original configurations and collectability of the gun. I used to have a Galil and loved the side folding stock that was on it. Locked up really tight and loved the feel and the looks.

I attached a photo that I stole off the internet of what exactly I'd like to have for an end product. Any advice/help would be great. Thanks so much!

Also, if any of you have an original spare leather sling in good shape made of reindeer hide (from what I read, is correct?) for sale let me know. Thanks!
Attachments
M76_Galil_Stock.jpg

dnepr0mike

Re: Valmet M76 Gunsmith Search

Post by dnepr0mike » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:24 am

I'm AK gunsmith - which what valmet is - just another AK with some proprietary parts. nothing really special about mechanically.
with that being said i'm also not looking to solicit your business, but rather share my expertise. putting a folder on the fixed trunnion gun would be a bit of a challenge. you would need an intermediary bolt-on bracket that would attach to rear trunnion with a screw and have galil 'stock hole' interface on other side. I have not come across these types of adapters in my valmet related searches. probably because valmet is pretty scarce here in US and not much R&D going on as far as accessories for it. with that being said any confident gunsmith with a decent shop can custom-fabricate this bracket fairly easily. it won't be cheap, just because design and at least 3 hours of shop time, you are looking at very least $400+ job. at least i wouldn't go any lower than that. Part would be one of a kind. Perhaps if you find existing adapter that can be easily moded to your needs it would cost somewhat less. it would also add about 1.5" to your LOP. not sure if this would be a big deal to you or not.

check cncwarrior website. they have a some stock adapters and folding galil-style stocks - maybe you can find something worth-while.
let me know if you do, i'm interested in this mode myself. valmet i recently acquired has broken (not salvageable) fixed wood stock, so i'm kinda in the similar position as you. i was thinking of replicating a tube stock for it but you gave me an alternative idea i can fall-back on if that option doesn't work out.

Shabooms

Post by Shabooms » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:15 pm

Evening!

Thanks so much for your reply. I had the same search difficulties as yourself on trying to find a good adapter. The cost is something I knew I would run into as well, which is always a concern. But, I figured if it is something I really enjoy and it is done right then it is worth it. That ballpark of $400 would be just for the adapter piece and labor you think? Not counting the cost of the folding stock?

My biggest concerns would be to have a really robust and functional folder installed while being able to keep the gun in a condition where I can always revert back and replace the wood stock without any permanent changes. A bolt-on bracket would be just the ticket.

The length of pole like you mentioned increasing a bit would actually help my fit on the gun. I'm kind of tall, lanky and goofy so I noticed the length of the gun now has be somewhat scrunched up when I hold it. So, another 1.5" could help alleviate, or fix that.

I kind of figured that this would be a custom fabricated part like you mentioned. Would be nice to have the bracket parkerized along with the folding stock to match the gun. You said you are an AK Gunsmith -- where are you located? Thanks!

dnepr0mike

Post by dnepr0mike » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:09 am

yeah, $400 just for the bracket, not including the stock. unfortunately shop time isn't cheap. the lowest i could imagine could be around $300 but that's probably the lowest i would ever go - east-coast prices. Maybe some other locale where cost of living is cheaper, smiths can charge less. Or maybe if you hire a friend or something.

regardless of the price, you got me thinking about this project. i thought about alternatives? other folding stocks that can be used. I have a Vz.58 side-folder laying around and that is already screw-type stock - making it work with Valmet would be just a matter of making a custom screw and much simpler slimmer adapter plate than for Galil. I might try this route first just to have some stock on the rifle.

another option i though of, was Tapco Galil-style AK stock. it looks just like late galil stock and the bracket/hinge mechanism on it is pretty hefty to accommodate AK fixed trunnion and tang. but it can be easily cut down and adapted for valmet with minimal amount of equipment. just hacksaw, dremmel, drill and some files would work. And tapco stock is cheap, even if you screw it up no big loss.

Shabooms

Post by Shabooms » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:49 pm

Yeah, shop time is not cheap for sure. I live in the Midwest and originally I am from the West, but I am unfamiliar with gunsmiths in this neck of the world, so cost is something I need to research.

I have thought about other side folders, but for some reason I am really caught up on the Galil style side folding stocks. They are just built like tanks and the aesthetics are great. I considered the Tapco Galil stocks like you had mentioned, but I figured that if I was going to go as far as to stick a non-original side folder on a Valmet with all the custom work then I might as well go for big air and pick a good, sturdy Galil stock.

But, if it turns out to be a huge expense or hassle I may just use it with the wooden stock -- it still looks and feels great, but I just really enjoy having a side folder. Even taking a Daewoo type side-folding butt stock would be pretty slick!

2manytoys

Post by 2manytoys » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:00 pm

This conversion has been done before. It looks great! The Valmet needs no mods. The gun side knuckle of the folder needs to have the round part machined flat and the same angle kept. Then a slot needs milled in the knuckle ,hole drilled and counter bored, then mount and enjoy.I'm hoping to find someone to do the machine work for mine. It might be possible to do it without a mill.

Shabooms

Post by Shabooms » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:20 am

Very nice! Exactly what I was looking to do. I've been looking around as well for someone that is handy enough to do this conversion -- let me know if you do find anyone who does and I will likewise give you a holler if I find someone. Obviously there are many stocks and options out there that you can use, but I just really dig the raw, functional and aesthetic looks of the Galil (and Valmet) rifles and accessories.

That is a very neat looking Valmet/Galil (Valil?) you posted. Whoever did it really meshed a Galil and Valmet together really well. Looks like a Valmet receiver and everything else is Galil?

dnepr0mike

Post by dnepr0mike » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:46 am

anyone knows Valmet stock bolt size and pitch?

Tom Doniphon

Post by Tom Doniphon » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:21 am

Not sure it is worth it in dollars but I guess that depends on what you want. I would suspect you would reduce the value of your Valmet and it would cost more than half a new Galil Ace.

dnepr0mike

Post by dnepr0mike » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:52 am

my valmet tube stock re-born. Built one from scratch other than butt thingy that i had to order from Finland.
WP_20180330_12_31_29_Pro.jpg
WP_20180327_15_06_00_Pro.jpg
WP_20180327_15_04_09_Pro.jpg

AGG

Post by AGG » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:00 am

Impressive!!! :D

Tony