So what is a Valmet 78 going for these days???

Discussion forum for all things Valmet!

Moderator: AGG

icer

So what is a Valmet 78 going for these days???

Post by icer » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:22 pm

My buddy wants to sell me his M78 and we're trying to set a fair price.
It's a stamped M78 imported by Odin with 5 20rnd magazines.
Condition is around 90% and other than the mags, an ejection port buffer, and soft case, it has no other accessories.

Any price range info would be greatly appreciated.

DunGoterDid

Post by DunGoterDid » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:21 pm

I would say $2500 buddy price to $3000 on Gunbroker

Pros: 5 mags

Cons: 1 mag looks rusty
Some Bubba cut the stock to fit what looks like a M14 butt plate

If you buy it and want a correct stock I can hook you up.
Valmets are sweet

DunGoterDid

Post by DunGoterDid » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:09 am

And another Pro in my mind is that the import marks have not been milled off like a lot of the stamped .308 M78s that came in to the USA. The mill marks on the said partially sanitized rifles are always in the exact location of where the import marks are on your buddies rifle. I speculate that Odin cancelled a large order of rifles that eventually came into the country with another importer.
Valmets are sweet

icer

Post by icer » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:42 pm

Thanks for the info and the lead on the replacement stock!
I'm interested in it as a shooter so the stock isn't a deal breaker and the 5 magazines are a huge plus...
On the other hand, cleaning these magazines is dirtier than any other magazine I've ever had the displeasure of working on. :(

icer

Post by icer » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:11 pm

And of course the rustiest mag on the outside has the most cosmoline on the inside... :evil:

Some differences between the followers, floorplates, and floorplate retainers.
Springs were similar. All were dated either 06/81 or 01/81 with crown over C proof.
Looks like they switched to an anti-tilt design on the follower.

AGG

Post by AGG » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:38 am

All will be converted, Swedish AK4 magazines and dated 01/81 or 06/81 (stamped receivers)--- the blued magazines (milled receivers) will not be dated!!! :D

Tony

icer

Post by icer » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:20 pm

AGG wrote:All will be converted, Swedish AK4 magazines and dated 01/81 or 06/81 (stamped receivers)--- the blued magazines (milled receivers) will not be dated!!! :D

Tony
I assume they are interchangeable between receivers in case I find a bunch of blued magazines down at Walmart someday for $19.95 each?
I wouldn't want to waste $19.95 on a magazine that won't work in my stamped receiver... :wink:

I ended up buying the Valmet and another AK as well...he made me an offer I couldn't refuse. :D

I discovered that the GSAD was unfired when I disassembled it for cleaning... :D

DunGoterDid

Post by DunGoterDid » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:57 pm

Good Score!
Valmets are sweet

AGG

Post by AGG » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:53 pm

icer wrote:
AGG wrote:All will be converted, Swedish AK4 magazines and dated 01/81 or 06/81 (stamped receivers)--- the blued magazines (milled receivers) will not be dated!!! :D

Tony
I assume they are interchangeable between receivers in case I find a bunch of blued magazines down at Walmart someday for $19.95 each?
I wouldn't want to waste $19.95 on a magazine that won't work in my stamped receiver... :wink:

I ended up buying the Valmet and another AK as well...he made me an offer I couldn't refuse. :D

I discovered that the GSAD was unfired when I disassembled it for cleaning... :D

Both magazine types will work in either receiver type--- the converted magazines were the only ones available at the time of the stamped receiver, rifle release--- the blued magazines will run $75.00- $125.00 more than the converted ones!!! :D
The GSAD spiker is my favorite--- PM to you. :?

icer

Post by icer » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:01 pm

Glad to hear the magazines are interchangeable. I can't fall off a curb without stepping on one of those blued ones around here...I've converted a bunch to use with my H&K 91 cause those $3 surplus G3 mags were just too darn expensive! :wink: :wink: :wink:

Were the stamped receiver Valmets imported before the milled receivers, or did they come in around the same time but by different importers?

Any idea what was involved in the conversion process on the AK4 magazines? Looks to me like they may have done some work on the front locking lug and some milling on the sides to get it to fit into the mag well...tough to say as I had no luck Googling up an image of an AK4 magazine.

If you tried to send me a PM I did not receive it...

icer

Post by icer » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:58 pm

Interesting thing about the GSAD, it has a micro double roll mark under the GSAD MANH. BEA..CA stamping on the left side of the receiver that says "NORINCO 7.62mm CHINA".
You can barely see it in the pic...I thought it was just a scratch before I did my detail clean on the rifle.

AGG

Post by AGG » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:16 am

VALMET

Stamped receivers were imported prior to the milled receivers--- your theory on the magazine conversion is correct!!! :D

GSAD

On the PM, your last pic of the GSAD answers my question--- is the serial on the GSAD 4131? :wink:
Also, the manufacturer/caliber designation on the GSAD's (as the earliest imports) can be found on the barrel or underneath the receiver on some examples. :shock:

Tony

icer

Post by icer » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:21 am

AGG wrote:VALMET

Stamped receivers were imported prior to the milled receivers--- your theory on the magazine conversion is correct!!! :D

GSAD

On the PM, your last pic of the GSAD answers my question--- is the serial on the GSAD 4131? :wink:
Also, the manufacturer/caliber designation on the GSAD's (as the earliest imports) can be found on the barrel or underneath the receiver on some examples. :shock:

Tony
Yep, the serial number is 4131 and is all matching. Marked on the bolt, bolt carrier, gas piston tube, and receiver that I noticed.
Any other locations I should check?

No manufacturer or caliber markings on the barrel or bottom of the receiver...only marking on the barrel is a triangle or V with a dash over the top of it marked just ahead of the chamber on the top of the barrel. I haven't removed the bottom handguard...

Also had the original cleaning kit in the buttstock...always a nice surprise. :)

Here's another rifle I'm buying from him...shhhhhhh! :wink:

icer

Post by icer » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:17 pm

I hit the range with both the GSAD AK and the Valmet 78 today. Both guns ran 100%, no FTF's no FTE's.
Broke the cherry on the GSAD...unfired since the day it was imported back in the mid-'80's. Shot just like pretty much every other AK on the planet...but now at least I know where it's at on paper and I can hit what I'm aiming at if I ever need to.
Fired some old red and white box PMC .308 thru the Valmet at 100 yards.
Here's the first six shots fired from the bipod, prone position...

First 3 went into about 1 3/4" in the D zone at 10 o'clock, then I moved the front sight left and the back sight down and the next three were in the A zone using a dead-on hold.
I'd like to see what this rifle can do with a good scope and some Federal GMM. I suspect it could be very impressive...

AGG

Post by AGG » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:38 am

Thanks for the range report!!! :D

Tony