m76 stock question

Discussion forum for all things Valmet!

Moderator: AGG

toecutter

m76 stock question

Post by toecutter » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:06 pm

kind of new to this platform. may consider picking one up. what i want to know is if i can change a tube folder stock or fixed tube to either the wood or a galil folder with relative ease and no irreversible modification

Dave62

Post by Dave62 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:54 am

I'm assuming you are looking a stamped receiver M76 not a milled one. Either way you would be better off starting with a wood stocked M76 if you want to use a Galil folder. The wood stock uses a bolt to attach it to the receiver and is fairly easy to remove and replace with an adapted Galil folder, and you will not need to alter the receiver. The Valmet tube folding stock hinge is part of the rear trunion and I believe the fixed tube is pressed into the rear trunion on the stamped receiver M76. Wood stocked M76s are usually cheaper than folders and much cheaper than fixed tube models (which I think were only available in 7.62x39mm). I have a M62 that was originally a fixed tube that was modified with to use a Galil folder. It can be done fairly easily but not with altering the reciver to attach it. Not to mention the M62s are considerably rarer and more expensive than the 5.56 M76 models

HTH
Dave