5.56 mags marked "LIQ"

Discussion forum for all things Valmet!

Moderator: AGG

finnfan

5.56 mags marked "LIQ"

Post by finnfan » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:18 am

Several years ago I picked up some mags that seem to fit my 5.56 Valmets. The mags are steel 40-round capacity, and the construction sure looks like that of Galil mags (gussets, lips, etc). The lips clear the bolt OK, but when loaded with 35 to 40 rds of ammo, the bottom side of the bolt strikes the cartridge cases (brass) with enough force to dent/crease them. This problem doesn't exist with the mags loaded with 30 rds. So, loading the mags to 30 rds max is a solution. The mags feed OK when cycled manually, but I haven't yet checked feeding performance with actual firing cycling. The mags are stamp-marked "LIQ" just below the top gussets. Does anyone know for which gun the LIQ mags were originally intended?

Thanks for the help......
Attachments
LIQmag1.JPG
LIQmag2.JPG

GoodGuy

Post by GoodGuy » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:22 pm

I'll try to provide you a little information about your magazines. This may not be totally accurate, but here goes.... It's my understanding that your "LIQ" marked magazines were made by a commercial company called "MCP" (some are marked "MCP" rather than "LIQ." MCP manufactured aftermarket magazines specifically for Valmet M71 and M76 5.56x45 chambered rifles during the late 1980s and/or early 1990s. President Bush's 1989 rifle import ban and President Clinton's 1994 assault rifle / high cap magazine ban effectively killed MCP's business plan for manufacturing magazines for Valmet rifles. The MCP / LIQ magazines were 40 rounders modeled from the magazines designed for use in H&K 5.56x45 chambered rifles (e.g., H&K 33).

Prior to the Clinton ban, the MCP magazines sold for $30 to $40 each. During the ban (if I remember correctly), sellers were getting in excess of $100 for each one. I haven't seen any for sale in some time, so I don't know what the market is like now.

Users have mixed reviews of these magazines. Some report reliability issues (e.g., failures of the magazines to feed their last few rounds) while others use the magazines without any issues. I've never heard of any safety issues related to the use of MCP magazines.

You might find additional info by searching the internet (and this site) for "Valmet" and "MCP" and "LIQ."
Dallas

finnfan

Post by finnfan » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:49 am

Thanks for the info, Dallas. Yeah, I had done a google search for LIQ, but came up with nothing. A search for MCP was equally unproductive. When I bought these, I bought six of them, and think I paid $70 each, but thought that was good, given the unavailability of 5.56 Valmet mags at the time. I just checked, and sure enough one of the mags is stamp-marked "MCP". It's possible that the creasing of cases that I see with brass cartridges when loaded with 35-40 rounds wouldn't happen with steel cartridges. But, I don't shoot any steel cased, steel-jacketed ammo in my Valmets, since I understand that the Valmets don't have chromed bores. I'll try to get to the indoor range soon to see how these mags feed. Fortunately, I have a decent supply of brass-case, copper-jacketed, non-steel core 55gr for use at the indoor range. It's still too hot (for me) here in the desert to do the outdoor range.

riderboy

Post by riderboy » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:53 pm

I have 4 of them, and they don't seem to work in my M76. All I use now are factory Valmet mags

finnfan

Post by finnfan » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:04 pm

riderboy wrote:I have 4 of them, and they don't seem to work in my M76. All I use now are factory Valmet mags
Do they fail to allow the action to cycle at all? Did you have the problems when they were loaded with 40 rds? Or are the problems independent of the number of rounds loaded?

riderboy

Post by riderboy » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:19 am

I haven't used them is so long I can't be sure! I don't load mags to the max capacity but usually leave them one or two rounds shy. I just recall failure to feed and thinking I'm never going to use them again.

finnfan

Post by finnfan » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:43 pm

riderboy wrote:I haven't used them is so long I can't be sure! I don't load mags to the max capacity but usually leave them one or two rounds shy. I just recall failure to feed and thinking I'm never going to use them again.
riderboy--check your pm/messages inbox. sent you two, one with my email addy.