M-78 sling

Discussion forum for all things Valmet!

Moderator: AGG

bruh44

M-78 sling

Post by bruh44 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:52 pm

So I just picked up a new sling. I'm concerned about having factory correct, this is a VTAC sling. The issue I'm having is what to use to attach the front of the sling to the sling loop on the gun. The sling will fit through it. The issue is this is an auto and I'm pretty sure it'll melt the sling. I tried a mash hook. It didn't fit. I'm skeptical of using an HK hook, I would think it'll just break. Any other suggestions?

GoodGuy

Post by GoodGuy » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:07 am

Do you use your sling to help support the rifle during firing, or do you mostly use it to help transport the rifle?

I'd suggest trying a traditional Mosin-Nagant leather sling. They're relatively cheap and easy to find, and the leather's not going to melt as your rifle heats up. As far as correctness... the Finnish armed forces have used a lot of them over the years. I suspect a few were used with Valmet rifles including the M78 type rifles.
Dallas

bruh44

Re: M-78 sling

Post by bruh44 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:58 am

bruh44 wrote:So I just picked up a new sling. I'm concerned about having factory correct, this is a VTAC sling. The issue I'm having is what to use to attach the front of the sling to the sling loop on the gun. The sling will fit through it. The issue is this is an auto and I'm pretty sure it'll melt the sling. I tried a mash hook. It didn't fit. I'm skeptical of using an HK hook, I would think it'll just break. Any other suggestions?
I meant to say NOT concerned about factory correct. I just need something to stop the sling from melting. I may try one of the leather straps from a Negant sling with my sling.

riderboy

Post by riderboy » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:33 am

Blue Force gear makes a sling for the M249 and one for the M240 that have Nomex webbing straps that attach to the barrel end of the rifle. With full auto, any kind of plastic sling will melt onto the gun and it's a mess. You kind also buy Nomex shoelaces on line and make your own sling attachments. Nomex is great stuff, very,very heat resistant and won't melt. Older canvas slings, like those for the IMI Galils won't melt either.