WHY doesn't some company Make Magazines ?? Seriously WHY?

Discussion forum for all things Valmet!

Moderator: AGG

scarab280ze

WHY doesn't some company Make Magazines ?? Seriously WHY?

Post by scarab280ze » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:59 pm

I've looked all over the place for some .223 M78 mags and can't find a one that isn't a modified to fit mag.
I would think the "Valmet" would have the molds and equipment to knock out a few thousand and make a killing on them as I'm sure everyone that owns one of their weapons would buy a few of them.. If the powers at Valmet read or hear of this and would like to sell me the equipment I am sure I could find a few investors to purchase them.. Wake UP "VALMET" times have changed..

GoodGuy

Post by GoodGuy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:54 am

The "Valmet" entity that manufactured firearms is no longer in existence. Some of its various industrial product lines (paper machines, power generation, automation, etc.) were acquired by a different entity, but its commercial weapons line was effectively eliminated in the 1990's (and really, in my judgment, 1989).

The bottom line answer to your question, however, is that there simply is not enough demand for 5.56x45 / .223 Valmet magazines to make their manufacture a profitable venture. There are not that many commercial Valmet rifles chambered in 5.56x45 / .223., and some of their owners already have all the magazines they want.

Keep looking. Factory 5.56x45 / .223 magazines show up for sale with some frequency. There are usually several on Gunbroker. I'd suggest you check there.
Dallas

scarab280ze

Post by scarab280ze » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:10 pm

I knew I would get an answer like that and I appreciate it really but where did the dies go do you think they were just thrown out ? well any way you make good sense even if it's not what I want to hear.
Thanks again!

GoodGuy

Post by GoodGuy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:28 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if the magazine forming equipment and tool sets were either passed on to SAKO or scrapped. I'm just guessing. If you're really interested in finding out, there's probably a some Finnish documentation available regarding the "reorganization" of Valmet and its product lines. That might hold some clues as to the disposition of the assets used in manufacturing the weapons product line.

With that said, while I'm getting old, I try to stay up on current events. Some of the so called "3D Printing" devices could, perhaps, be programmed to manufacture hard to find rifle parts. These devices could theoretically make the parts at a reasonable cost. I think that as technologies and material sciences advance, there will be such opportunities.

Wouldn't it be cool, for example, to "scan" a single steel magazine (or butt plate, etc.) and program a 3D printer to produce functional polymer (or powdered steel?) replicas? I expect to see that within the next several years.
Dallas

CelticSword
Site Admin

Post by CelticSword » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:40 am

Most of Valmet's inventory went into large shipping containers on SAKO property. Samppa went through many of these and purchased some of the inventory. I believe that much of the forming equipment was repurposed or disposed of.

scarab280ze

Post by scarab280ze » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:32 am

I think I 'll go to my safe bunker and re-fleck on this sad information. I have had my collection for many years and just now am I starting to become active in acquiring and selling and lusting after weapons and their history.. Thank you for the information my friend..

GoodGuy

Post by GoodGuy » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:08 am

scarab280ze wrote:I think I 'll go to my safe bunker and re-fleck on this sad information. I have had my collection for many years and just now am I starting to become active in acquiring and selling and lusting after weapons and their history.. Thank you for the information my friend..
Don't despair. While the scarcity of parts can be frustrating, it also presents a challenge. Part of the fun with our collections is to search out and acquire those parts.

There's lots of interesting history and information on this forum, and the members here are friendly and knowledgeable and often helpful.
Dallas

M62/M76

Post by M62/M76 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:11 pm

Started off with 2 magazines for my M76, I now have 10.
It's fun finding them.
I even found a 30 round M71 magazine, new condition, at a local gun show, for ten dollars!

Started off with 2 magazines for my M62 and now have about 15.

Seek and you shall find.

Mike

riderboy

Post by riderboy » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:48 am

I would think the fact the factory .223 mags are selling at $250 is a good indication of the demand for these mags. I thinking the 3D printer might hold the answer.

Tommo

Post by Tommo » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:53 am

Galil .223 steel mags work fine in valmets, used them in the M76 I had years ago. You may need to put a little epoxy like PC7 on the side to keep them from wobbling. Early Galil mags do not have this problem as they have steel tabs near the rear.

D.Brown

Post by D.Brown » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:25 pm

The Galil magazines hold the same cartridges. The Galil magazines do fit in the Valmet magazine well. They lock up tightly. They may even feed rounds into the chamber. They do NOT do this SAFELY.

The 5.56 magazines for these two rifles are different. Galil magazines often feed the rounds into the barrel face first before the round is then forced into the chamber. This may drive the bullet deep into brass case while the round is chambered.

It is not safe. Use the correct magazine for the each rifle.

DB
Jurisprudence, the daughter of philosophy willing to compromise herself for profit.

riderboy

Post by riderboy » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:46 am

As close a fit as the Galil mags are, I wonder why someone hasn't figgered out how to modify a Galil mag to be used safely in a Valmet. It's got to be a pretty minor fix.

D.Brown

Post by D.Brown » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:01 pm

I recall a professional smith putting a valmet on gunbroker which accepted Nato standard 5.56x45 magazines.

Not a bad idea right? The adapter worked apparently so it must have been a custom recreation. Even so, it was permanently installed with a few small tig welds. I would think this was done to guarantee that the adapter remained in the correct location for proper function.
I am sure this particular Valmet had a few comments on this board.

A long long long time ago and on another board I recall seeing a valmet which had a fed ramp installed to accept more readily available magazines.

I personally would keep my rifle original.

DB
Jurisprudence, the daughter of philosophy willing to compromise herself for profit.

lightguy

Post by lightguy » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:20 am

I wonder how many a run would require to make it economically a reality ?
Everyone and their monkey makes a AR magazine where the competition is fierce.
You'd think one mfg would wise up.

RAEXCCT2

Post by RAEXCCT2 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:34 pm

D.Brown wrote:I recall a professional smith putting a valmet on gunbroker which accepted Nato standard 5.56x45 magazines.

Not a bad idea right? The adapter worked apparently so it must have been a custom recreation. Even so, it was permanently installed with a few small tig welds. I would think this was done to guarantee that the adapter remained in the correct location for proper function.
I am sure this particular Valmet had a few comments on this board.

A long long long time ago and on another board I recall seeing a valmet which had a fed ramp installed to accept more readily available magazines.

I personally would keep my rifle original.

DB
DB,

Can you remember who the manufacturer of this conversion is and do you have any contact info? I am trying to finish a stripped Valmet barreled upper receiver I bought here several years ago.

I have not had much luck finding original Valmet parts to finish so have been using Galil parts when I can so using non-Valmet magazines would not bother me.

As much as I hate AR-15's, if I could get an adapter to use AR15 PMAG's, that would be great.