Anyone modify a VALMET 15rd mag to hold more rounds?

Discussion forum for all things Valmet!

Moderator: AGG

nfafan

Anyone modify a VALMET 15rd mag to hold more rounds?

Post by nfafan » Sun May 26, 2013 8:57 pm

Out of curiosity - has anyone tried to modify the mag follower in the VALMET 15rd mags so as to squeeze in a few more rounds?

Just had to ask as I am baffled that no 3rd party company has ever stepped up to make poly .223 mags, yet we have a source for poly STEN mags.

GoodGuy

Post by GoodGuy » Mon May 27, 2013 7:02 am

No, I've never heard of anyone attempting to modify 15 round Valmet magazine followers to increase magazine capacity. Such a modification could compromise reliability and would certainly lower the value of the factory magazine.

It is likely that manufacturers have considered making both metal and polymer Valmet magazines ( as well as other replacement parts) for the U.S. Valmet market (a couple have actually put out some parts). Such a venture, however, would ultimately prove unprofitable. There just aren't enough Valmet rifle owners / collectors / shooters to support such ventures. Many owners (such as myself) are also collectors who only want genuine factory parts and don't necessarily need a lot of magazines or spare parts. Other owners who are shooters are satisfied with the magazines they already have (Valmet factory, Tromix, or others). Since there are no more Valmet rifles being made, there seems to be a balance or "stasis" of rifles / accessories / magazines / parts that makes manufacture of additional parts (generally) unnecessary.

At least that's the way I think of it. The same is true of other relatively rare, collectible rifles in the U.S. that use proprietary magazines (e.g., FAMAS, AR-70, PE57, etc.).
Dallas

nfafan

Post by nfafan » Mon May 27, 2013 9:27 am

I can agree on the status quo part for the VALMET and FAMAS, but...

As in the case of the STENs - how many xferable STENs are out there to support the market? That plus at one time, STEN mags were as cheap as dirt to buy... Yet ProMag made a run of poly STEN mags.

Or the somewhat ready availability of Berretta AR70 mags - I just seen an i'net e-tailer selling the 30-rdrs for under $70.00 - but in the greater picture - but realistically; just how many AR70's were actually sold in the US in that tiny window of availability in the mid 80's?

Or the same with Galils? Yet ProMag made a run of poly Galil mags.

Meanwhile, unlike the FAMAS, .223 VALMETs were being sold into the USA from at least the mid-70's (I was in the USAF in the 70's and used to drool over the M71Fixed that the special-order AAFEES catalog carried) from Interarms.

I woulda thunk there were more original or replica VALMET .223 mags out there are

GoodGuy

Post by GoodGuy » Mon May 27, 2013 10:45 am

I think the Beretta AR70 magazines you're seeing are "surplus" magazines that have become available as AR70 rifles are replaced by other rifles. I don't think there are any new production AR70 magazines for commercial rifles.

I'm guessing ProMag's manufacture of new polymer Galil magazines was done in response to the commercial (Century Arms, etc.) building of Galil "clones." Perhaps if a manufacturer starting builidng Valmet "clones," ProMag would similarly create molds and make some suitable polymer Valmet magazines.

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on one's perspective), I don't think the importers of Valmet products sold that many rifles (and magazines, etc.) in the U.S. despite their availability in the 1970's and 1980's.

I have no knowledge of the STEN magazines. Perhaps the owners of ProMag had some STEN subguns to feed. It's possible, too, that the relative simplicity of STEN subgun magazine manufacture may have made the cost of the venture low enough to support the initiative. Too, there are many STEN guns still in service all over the world. It might have made sense for ProMag to make the magazines for worldwide distribution. Of course, I'm just guessing.

I wonder how much it would cost to design and test and "tool up" to manufacture a reliable 5.56x45 Valmet magazine?
Dallas

gray

Re: Anyone modify a VALMET 15rd mag to hold more rounds?

Post by gray » Mon May 27, 2013 9:12 pm

nfafan wrote:Out of curiosity - has anyone tried to modify the mag follower in the VALMET 15rd mags so as to squeeze in a few more rounds?
Agree with the previous comments about reliability and value of the original magazine, but also in many areas it might be illegal to increase the number of rounds in a magazine depending on the local or state laws where you reside. In NYS even a 15 round magazine is now illegal.

About cost to tool up some PMAG's for our 223 Valmet's, probably tens of thousands of dollars but that's just a WAG. Maybe not worth it unless you could sell a few thousand of them right off the bat. So if it cost $30,000 to tool up and you sold 1000 at $30 each you would break even. But could you sell 1000?? That would be 100 Valmet 223 owners who bought 10 mags each or 200 owners buying 5 mags each, etc.

As already mentioned seems like most Valmet owners don't shoot them all that much. On the other hand if you wanted to put some mags away for the coming World War Z, then maybe??? IDK.

nfafan

Post by nfafan » Tue May 28, 2013 2:49 am

Well I'm not a bump-firer that needs to get the barrel smoking and handguards sizzling, but to have 2-3 mags per gun at least. Some folks aren't happy with less than 20 mags!

I may shoot 2 mags back/back quickly, or 3 mags slowly, then allow the cool-down while refilling the mags.

It's just that the length of time the .223 VALMETs were sold in the USA vs. number of OEM mags available on the market just doesn't make sense. Someone was after 20mags per M71/M76...

gray

223 Magazine availability

Post by gray » Tue May 28, 2013 5:05 am

The older/smarter heads might know if spare mags were ever sold for the 223?? On the other hand seems like there were plenty of spares for the 7.62x39 rifles.

I've been told by another forum member that the rifles usually came with either 3-30rd mags or 1-15rd mag depending on the importer.