M78 variants and interchanging magazines

Discussion forum for all things Valmet!

Moderator: AGG

Tom Doniphon

Post by Tom Doniphon » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:49 pm

"Ditto"? "Ditto," you provincial putz?

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Eric move out of that commie state! I think you should move to Rock Ridge and so does Taggart.

nate

Post by nate » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:40 am

:) Tom I tried m-14 converted mags in my stamped m-78 and found them to be a loose and poor fit . I would never again buy a converted m-14 mag again
nathan

nib

Post by nib » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:49 pm

Now if that don't beat all. Here we take the good time and trouble to slaughter every last indian in the West,and for what? :D
I just need a 76 milled folder in 7.62 x 39. and I swear to GOD I will stop.

ClassyVet

Post by ClassyVet » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:24 am

Thanks To: Tom D. for the images, those really helped me to recognise the two factory variations. My magazine is the one with "Crown C" and 06/81 stamp. GoodGuy, your warning of potential risks related to converted magazines is taken to heart. I've waited a long time to own my Valmet and don't want to risk a significant investment. Tallin, fortunately I reside in Utah, a State with many quirks, but remains very supportive of our 2nd Amendment Rights. No issue Hi-cap magazines here.
As I haven't mastered adding an image to my reply, here is a link to another slick sided mag converted for M78 use. It's appearing on several sites and the seller claims to have sold a number of these without problems, but I remain apprehensive. Anyone familiar with them?
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =283526857
Meanwhile I remain interested in purchasing two more original magazines if anyone has extras they're willing to part with for a reasonable price. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.
Mike
Live with Honor

Tallin

Post by Tallin » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:40 am

ClassyVet wrote:Thanks To: Tom D. for the images, those really helped me to recognise the two factory variations. My magazine is the one with "Crown C" and 06/81 stamp. GoodGuy, your warning of potential risks related to converted magazines is taken to heart. I've waited a long time to own my Valmet and don't want to risk a significant investment. Tallin, fortunately I reside in Utah, a State with many quirks, but remains very supportive of our 2nd Amendment Rights. No issue Hi-cap magazines here.
As I haven't mastered adding an image to my reply, here is a link to another slick sided mag converted for M78 use. It's appearing on several sites and the seller claims to have sold a number of these without problems, but I remain apprehensive. Anyone familiar with them?
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =283526857
Meanwhile I remain interested in purchasing two more original magazines if anyone has extras they're willing to part with for a reasonable price. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.
Mike
Mike,

They have been trying to sell those for a long time. I bought some a couple of years ago before I knew any better!

Trust me, THEY DO NOT WORK! I sent them all back and exchanged them for a load of Glock mags. I think they bought out someones warehouse full of mags. Mags of all types, but what they are pushing off as Valmet mags, they are not. And they will not feed properly!

Eric
"Do not use a hatchet to remove a fly from your friend's forehead."
Chinese Proverb

Tom Doniphon

Post by Tom Doniphon » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:24 pm

I thought nib was going to start using his Jedi powers so that when there were mag questions he would move his arm and say "these aren't the mags your looking for" and all would be right?

AGG

Post by AGG » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:53 am

Those GB magazines almost look like SIG!!! :shock:

Tony

Dave62

Post by Dave62 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:06 pm

They are aftermarket M-14 (possibly ProMag or Korean) magazines modified for .308 Galils. I bought a couple just to try them and they worked well in my .308 Galil. I ran 100 rnds through 5 of them with no malfunctions. They are, however, not even close to the quality of real USGI M-14 magazines, but they do save wear and tear on my 25rnd IMI magazines though.

nate

Post by nate » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:08 am

:D dave 62 is right those are m-14 mags don't just stay away from them but run gunbroker had a few awile back although pricey were the real deal.
nathan

tmbk2

Post by tmbk2 » Tue May 01, 2012 10:52 am

I bought a few of those converted mags off GB from that seller as well. In a m76 .308 you just have to modify the top rear of the mag like a Galil in order to fit in a milled Valmet. No feed angel issues, work great. Maybe not the best solution but.... They also work great just the way they come in any .308 Vepr! These look to me to be just like the Promag Galil being sold at Midway for a few $ cheaper. I spent some time comparing them to usgi and CMI m14 mags and they really aren't too bad.

Tallin

Post by Tallin » Tue May 01, 2012 1:33 pm

tmbk2 wrote:I bought a few of those converted mags off GB from that seller as well. In a m76 .308 you just have to modify the top rear of the mag like a Galil in order to fit in a milled Valmet. No feed angel issues, work great. Maybe not the best solution but.... They also work great just the way they come in any .308 Vepr! These look to me to be just like the Promag Galil being sold at Midway for a few $ cheaper. I spent some time comparing them to usgi and CMI m14 mags and they really aren't too bad.
In the past when I bought the mags listed on GB from Joes Pawn Shop, they were presented as original factory Valmet. :shock:

They now have them correctly listed as Conversion Mags.

Glad they worked for you! :)

The ones I received a few years back, did not feed correctly, and were obviously not factory Valmet, so back they went!

Eric

"Do not use a hatchet to remove a fly from your friend's forehead."
Chinese Proverb

tmbk2

Post by tmbk2 » Thu May 03, 2012 2:33 pm

Funny, they said they were not sure what they would fit in but had feedback that they were gtg in a 308 Galil. I did have to mod the back, filed to fit.. I am thinking about picking up a Promag Galil just to see if it is the.same thing. One Source Tactical is selling a 308 Vepr mag (modified m14) that Looks like these as well, although cleaned up real nice. I'll probably get one from them to compare as well. I saw someone's post in a forum somewhere that had a wide rear mag well on his m76 that looked altered to fit these type mags. It was hard to tell anything had been done to the rifle. If these were not so collectable then I'd say that altering your mag well and picking up 20 or so of these mags at $25 to $50 a POP wouldn't be a bad deal. Someone with a m78 needs to try one since that mag well is already wider, they might drop right in. I have to say that the original Valmet 20 rd mags are real nice but are no were near as robust as the mod m14 nock offs. Hope this helps someone.

tmbk2

Post by tmbk2 » Wed May 16, 2012 6:14 pm

Got a One Source Tactical UR308 Vepr mag and compared it to several I picked up off GB site a while back. Put a caliper to them and compared tooling and handling makes and except for the finish on the follower being upgraded by OTS, they appear to be twins.... I haven't seen a Promag Gall .308 mag yet but am wondering. Look, they have the feel of a CMI mag to me except there are welds to the new front and back AK tabs instead of a typical M14 front tab otherwise look identical. The caliper measures out identical in all areas. I am glad to have these new sources. I'd say give them a try and report your thoughts. By the way, work great in the Vepr!

ClassyVet

Post by ClassyVet » Thu May 17, 2012 8:33 am

I am pleased my original post generated a lot of discussion on the M78 magazine issue. Several days ago I did have an opportunity to purchase two "as new" original Valmet 20rd mags, not the G3 converted mags. They fit great in my "stamped" M78. Thanks to GoodGuy I had a clear image to compare to the offered mags to ensure they were correctly represented. Yes, they were expensive, but at the lower end of the current asking prices.

Now a new question, I've found a M76 (tube folder) w/stamped receiver in .223 and ser.#159689. It's in at least 95% conditon and comes with one short magazine (9rd?), sling, and cleaning kit. Round count is advertised as being very low, but hwo really knows. Can someone tell me what the price range (high/low should be in today's market? Is there anything I need to be cautious about as I'm not familiar with the M76.

Thanks again to all for sharing knowledge and experience.
Live with Honor

nib

Post by nib » Thu May 17, 2012 12:57 pm

1400-1600
That should be a 15 round mag.
Make sure it has the stock catch. (small sheet metal hook)
I have seen these missing on some rifles.

Box
Birth certificate
Sling
Cleaning kit( may be in the stock)

All of these increase the price.
I just need a 76 milled folder in 7.62 x 39. and I swear to GOD I will stop.