M78 variants and interchanging magazines

Discussion forum for all things Valmet!

Moderator: AGG

ClassyVet

Post by ClassyVet » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:13 pm

To the experts:
Yes, I am another newby who needs some guidance. After a 30 year wait I finally acquired a long sought after M78. Mine has a stamped receiver in .308 cal. Like so many other new owners I began searching for additional magazines (one is never enough). After recovering from "sticker shock" I discover there appears to be at least two variants which created some confusion along with the shock.
When puchased my M78 included one magazine that is very similar in appearance to the H&K G3 or 91 rifle magazine. It seems to lock-in correctly and is not sloopy in the mag well. I've also seen other M78 magazines in .308 being advertised that are smooth sided similar to those used in M14 and M1A rifles. Are these magazines interchangable for use in any M78 in .308 cal? Although my rifle came with the HK style magazine, how can I know which style, M14 or HK, was it originally intended to use?
Finallly if anyone has a source for the original 20rd magazines I am willing to pay a fair price for two. Please share your wisdom with me.

Mike
Live with Honor

Tom Doniphon

Post by Tom Doniphon » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:13 pm

You have two choices factory or MCP. MCP are aftermarket and were made many years ago. MCP were 30+ rounds and about half the price of the factory mag price. They were patterned after the G3 mag the HK factory made out of two G3 mags.

ClassyVet

Post by ClassyVet » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:34 am

Tom D.,
Appreciate the info regarding the MCP mags. Were the MCPs built for and distributed by Valmet, or were they just an aftermarket product designed to address the shortage of original Valmet mags? How is the quality and function of the MCPs?
I'm still have questions regarding the two different styles of mags I've seen (HK style and the one similar to the M14); do they interchange with any M78?

Mike
Live with Honor

AGG

Post by AGG » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:04 am

Mike,

The magazine that you have (Swedish AK4 conversion/"crown" over "C"/ dated 01/81 or 06/81) generally came with the stamped receiver rifles, as they were the earlier import (ODIN International)!!! :D
The "blued" magazines (reinforcement at top) were generally supplied with the milled receiver rifles, imported later (Elmsford, NY). :wink:
The "blued" magazines will usually be an additional $50.00-$100.00 above the "converted" magazines. :D
Both should work in both types of receivers (albeit, the "blued" magazines may fit a little tighter in the stamped receiver rifles). :shock:
The Max Capacity Products ("MCP") magazines are similar to the "converted" ones but 30 rounds and I believe marked "MCP--- quality/function similar to "converted"". :wink:

Tony

Tallin

Post by Tallin » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:29 pm

Tony,

I always wondered what the brand MCP actually meant. Now I know its Max Capacity Products.

Curious, if you have an MCP Flyer or piece of literature in your collection?

You are always a wealth of knowledge and information pertaining to Valmets!

Have you ever considered writing a book on Valmets, like say the history of Valmets?

Yes, I am serious, and it's meant as a compliment! :D

Eric
"Do not use a hatchet to remove a fly from your friend's forehead."
Chinese Proverb

Tom Doniphon

Post by Tom Doniphon » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:21 pm

The only MCP printed history would be the old Shotgun News ads.

Tom Doniphon

Post by Tom Doniphon » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:22 pm

Mike can you upload a picture of your M14 style mag?

GoodGuy

Post by GoodGuy » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:19 am

Mike,

By the way.... Welcome to the site! It's always good to have another Valmet collector / shooter / admirer on board.
Dallas

AGG

Post by AGG » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:45 am

Tallin wrote:Tony,

I always wondered what the brand MCP actually meant. Now I know its Max Capacity Products.

Curious, if you have an MCP Flyer or piece of literature in your collection?

You are always a wealth of knowledge and information pertaining to Valmets!

Have you ever considered writing a book on Valmets, like say the history of Valmets?

Yes, I am serious, and it's meant as a compliment! :D

Eric
Eric,

Thanks for the compliments--- they are greatly appreciated!!! :D
Throughout my 25+ years of collecting, I try to acquire as much knowledge as possible about various manufacturers (not limited to just Valmet). :wink:
As TD eluded to, the only literature that I am aware of is old SG News advertisements (Bumble Bee Wholesale). :shock:

Tony

AGG

Post by AGG » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:47 am

Tom Doniphon wrote:Mike can you upload a picture of your M14 style mag?
Might be referring to the "M76" blued magazine!!! :wink:

Tony

ClassyVet

Post by ClassyVet » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:53 am

Tom D.,

The only magazine I own is one of the HK style which was with the rifle when purchased. I've found several of the smooth sided magazines recently among listing on GunBroker and maybe one on the GunsAmerica site. I'll attempt to upload some images tonight.

As for them possibly being M76 magazines, I can't say. A friend was at a Gun Show in Colorado last weekend and found a vendor specializing in magazines and clips. He had one marked as a Valmet M78 (20rd). We talked by phone and I sent an image of my magazine. He said there were two versions of M78s imported. He said the early version came with the smooth sided magazine and the later version with the HK style. After seeing the image of my magazine he said the one he had would not function well in my rifle. I don't know if what he said is accurate. Mike
Live with Honor

GoodGuy

Post by GoodGuy » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:43 am

For what it's worth... here are a couple of photos. One is a 6/81 "crown over C" Swedish AK4 G3 conversion. The second is a Valmet "factory" blued steel magazine. Both work well in my milled M78.

Swedish Conversion:

Blued Steel:
Dallas

Tom Doniphon

Post by Tom Doniphon » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:34 pm

There were some M14 mags modified for Galil rifles. Some Galil mags are able to lock into a Valmet.

The rule to remember is if it was not the original mag for the gun don't use it until it has been checked by a gunsmith for proper feed angle. If your mag runs the bullet into the face of the barrel and pushes the bullet back into the case you can be hurt and trash your rifle.

Now I do not recall any member here stating that they have seen a feed angle problem with an MCP mag in a .308 Valmet. So you should stay with original or MCP mags only.

It is possible we will see some new production Valmet mags from the guys making VEPR steel mags soon.

Tallin

Post by Tallin » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:13 pm

Tom Doniphon wrote:There were some M14 mags modified for Galil rifles. Some Galil mags are able to lock into a Valmet.

The rule to remember is if it was not the original mag for the gun don't use it until it has been checked by a gunsmith for proper feed angle. If your mag runs the bullet into the face of the barrel and pushes the bullet back into the case you can be hurt and trash your rifle.

Now I do not recall any member here stating that they have seen a feed angle problem with an MCP mag in a .308 Valmet. So you should stay with original or MCP mags only.

It is possible we will see some new production Valmet mags from the guys making VEPR steel mags soon.
New Production Hi-Cap Valmet mags would be great provided they are legal in your state.

In Commie states like New York, only Pre-ban Hi Cap Mags are legal.

Eric

"Do not use a hatchet to remove a fly from your friend's forehead."
Chinese Proverb

nib

Post by nib » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:16 pm

Ditto :D
I just need a 76 milled folder in 7.62 x 39. and I swear to GOD I will stop.