Valmet M76 and M78 .308 magazine question

Discussion forum for all things Valmet!

Moderator: AGG

zz_denis

Valmet M76 and M78 .308 magazine question

Post by zz_denis » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:35 am

It seems that M78 and M76 mags in .308 are identical except for the added sideplates on the M78 mags.

M78 mags seem to be cheaper and easier to find than M76 ones. They are also stronger because of the sideplates/thicker lips.
I was wondering if anyone ever tried to remove some metal on the sides of the M76 magazine well to accept M78 mags? Would there be any cons to doing this (except decreasing the value of M76 to collectors, of course).

Also, why did Valmet choose to go with different mags for the M76? Not only they make things more difficult for Valmet owners (due to the fact that mags are not interchangeable), but the M76 mags also feel very flimsy, especially on the lips (compared to M78 mags).

1981fj40

Mags

Post by 1981fj40 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:12 am

I did make a Mag for my 76 308 out of a HK G3 20rd. mag,I'm no machinist but i did get it to feed and function correct,it took me a long time to grind off the reinforced ribs on the mag,so i haven't made any more for my Rifle yet. Dremel ,Grinder, Mig Welder, poor mans Machinist,and a little bit of Hammer and Sickle technic.
good luck

GoodGuy

Post by GoodGuy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:02 am

I can't really speak for Valmet as to how they chose to deliver their designs. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if the M76 chambered in 7.62x51 was more of a "commercial" rather than "military" venture. I suspect that if the rifles had been better received, Valmet would have certainly provided more magazines to the market.

Also, in my opinion, I think it would be best to simply try to find and purchase the correct magazine for your rifle. If that's not an option, I would try modifying magazines before doing any modifications to my rifle.
Dallas

Tallin

Post by Tallin » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:34 am

GoodGuy wrote:I can't really speak for Valmet as to how they chose to deliver their designs. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if the M76 chambered in 7.62x51 was more of a "commercial" rather than "military" venture. I suspect that if the rifles had been better received, Valmet would have certainly provided more magazines to the market.

Also, in my opinion, I think it would be best to simply try to find and purchase the correct magazine for your rifle. If that's not an option, I would try modifying magazines before doing any modifications to my rifle.

I totally agree that the best option would be to purchase an original and correct magazine for your rifle. You already own a very fine rifle, and in my opinion using a mag adapter, which looks like an abortion, or a conversion mag which may or may not be reliable, would make absolutely no sense. There are usually many Valmet mags for sale on Gun Broker, and it is now somewhat of a buyers market with much lower then normal prices! :D

Eric
"Do not use a hatchet to remove a fly from your friend's forehead."
Chinese Proverb

AGG

Post by AGG » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:34 am

Tallin wrote:
GoodGuy wrote:I can't really speak for Valmet as to how they chose to deliver their designs. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if the M76 chambered in 7.62x51 was more of a "commercial" rather than "military" venture. I suspect that if the rifles had been better received, Valmet would have certainly provided more magazines to the market.

I totally agree that the best option would be to purchase an original and correct magazine for your rifle. You already own a very fine rifle, and in my opinion using a mag adapter, which looks like an abortion, or a conversion mag which may or may not be reliable, would make absolutely no sense. There are usually many Valmet mags for sale on Gun Broker, and it is now somewhat of a buyers market with much lower then normal prices! :D

Eric
Eric,

So . . . does that mean that you are offering your factory magazines at dirt-cheap prices??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tony

Tallin

Post by Tallin » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:55 am

AGG wrote:
Tallin wrote:

Eric
Eric,

So . . . does that mean that you are offering your factory magazines at dirt-cheap prices??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tony

Tony,

Nope! Like most folks my motto is buy low and sell higher, but within reason, or you will never sell. But I do believe Valmet mag prices are at an all time low. Personally, I just do not need anymore, and unless something NOS pops up new in a wrapper I will not buy. The exception of course, would be a ridiculously low price, if AG doe's not beat me to it!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Eric
Chinese Proverb

zz_denis

Post by zz_denis » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:10 am

The reason i want to modify the rifle to accept the M78 mags is not only the cost of mags (cost difference between m78 and m76 .308 mags is not very significant), but also the quality of mags.
M78 mags look and feel a lot stronger because of the added sideplates.

Reliability would be affected, and the modified rifle would be able to use BOTH M76 and M78 mags.

The modification to the rifle (removal of a little metal from the sides on the inside of the magwell) would not even be noticeable.

GoodGuy

Post by GoodGuy » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:02 am

It would be interesting to hear from someone who's actually modified a M76 as proposed. I've never heard of anyone attempting this. The only potential cons I can think of (except for the devaluation of the rifle itself) would be 1) weakening the receiver (and/or ruining any surface heat treatment of the modified area), 2) creating a magazine well that's oversized for the rifle's intended magazine (excessive "wobble") and 3) introducing a magazine feed angle that's inconsistent with the rifle's design.
Dallas

Tallin

Post by Tallin » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:58 am

GoodGuy wrote:It would be interesting to hear from someone who's actually modified a M76 as proposed. I've never heard of anyone attempting this. The only potential cons I can think of (except for the devaluation of the rifle itself) would be 1) weakening the receiver (and/or ruining any surface heat treatment of the modified area), 2) creating a magazine well that's oversized for the rifle's intended magazine (excessive "wobble") and 3) introducing a magazine feed angle that's inconsistent with the rifle's design.

If my memory is correct there was someone on this board who purchased a Valmet from another board member which had an enlarged mag well due to a modification. Modification was unknow to the purchaser prior to the sale, and the end result was the seller taking back the rifle.

I agree 100% with "GoodGuy's," comments! I also believe that Valmet designed the rifles with different mags for a reason, and if it was feasible to have the M-78 Mag work in both rifles, they would have done so.

Eric
Chinese Proverb

nate

Post by nate » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:06 am

8) I don't know about finding m-78 mags very easy but i see more m-76 than m-78 as I try to buy what m-78's I can m-78 are 20 round mags but I see alot of 5 & 12 rounder for sale and think those are for m-76 and junk m-14 conversions that I refuse to even consider
nathan