Converting a Hunter to 7.62x39

Discussion forum for all things Valmet!

Moderator: AGG

zz_denis

Converting a Hunter to 7.62x39

Post by zz_denis » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:37 am

Hi,

I've been toying with the idea of converting a .308 Hunter to 7.62x39 caliber, making it similar to Norinco Hunter in x39. We cant get Norinco Hunters up here, nor can we get any other milled receiver AK's in 7.62x39.

I have a spare .308 Hunter laying around and a ton of AK mags.
Has anyone done such conversion?
I would obviously need to replace the barrel and bolt. Mag well would have to be widened and shortened to accept AK mags (.308 hunter mags are actually narrower than x39 AK mags).
Gas piston would probably need to be replaced also.
What about the ejector? Is the .308 ejector "long" enough? Would someone be able to measure the "thickness" of the ejector+receiver wall?
If the ejector is not long enough, would i be better off using a .223 Hunter as a donor?

Thanks!

Ruddiger

Post by Ruddiger » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:58 am

If necessary, you can weld more material onto an ejector and re-harden. Also, IMI made replacement ejector sections (rare) for welding into damaged galil receivers. Anything is possible.

You might need a different gas block/port, too? Although I'm aware of the magwell differences, I don't own a .308 Valmet (yet). So unfortunately, I can't help you with dimensional specs. But I am planning to convert a .223 Hunter into 7.62x39, which seems more straight-forward. So I'll let you know how that conversion goes (just as soon as I gather some remaining RK95 parts)!

D.Brown

Post by D.Brown » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:10 pm

zz

Before you proceed any further buy, or borrow, a 7.62*39 bolt and compare it to your Valmet .308 bolt. Then you will realize that the receiver is cut for the much larger bolt lugs.

Not to say this can be done, but, it will not be anywhere near as simple as it sounds.

DB
Jurisprudence, the daughter of philosophy willing to compromise herself for profit.