Finnish & American-Finnish Soldiers in Afghanistan

Discussion forum for all things Valmet!

Moderator: AGG

bayonetben

Finnish & American-Finnish Soldiers in Afghanistan

Post by bayonetben » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:37 pm

Gents,
Here are a few pictures of Captain "Mikko"-Finnish Army and me at Kabul International Airport in 2008. Mikko's holding my M4, and I've got his Rk-95. Mikko and I still correspond via e-mail...he recently sent me an Rk cleaning kit and sling. At this meeting I gave him a Gerber,and he gave me a very cool puukko...not a good trade for him I'm afraid.
Ben
Attachments
Mikko and I at Kabul International Airport I-2008.JPG
Mikko and I at Kabul International Airport II-2008.JPG
Mikko and I at Kabul International Airport III-2008.JPG

GoodGuy

Post by GoodGuy » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:31 pm

Great photos!
Dallas

bayonetben

Post by bayonetben » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:54 pm

BTW...I'm the dork on the right!

CelticSword
Site Admin

Post by CelticSword » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:45 am

cool

AGG

Post by AGG » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:21 am

Thanks for posting the cool pics!!! :shock:

Tony

bayonetben

Post by bayonetben » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:31 am

Just as a side bar, I worked with a number of different foreign forces while in Afghanistan, and nearly all of them; French*, British, Australian, and Italian (I didn't discuss this issue with the Finns) indicated that they preferred our M4 carbine over their own domestic rifle. I read a lot of non-sense (to me) about what a poor weapon the M4 is, and that US troops don't like it. NO soldier that I served with, or have spoken to after their deployment, expressed negative opinion of the M4. Post-deployment surveys have also found that the M4 carbine was well thought of by the US soldiers (to include me).

*The French fought bravely where I served with them, to include a French KIA...all of the French Army jokes may be funny, but hardly accurate about the capabilities of the French soldier.

Miku

Post by Miku » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:44 am

bayonetben wrote:BTW...I'm the dork on the right!
So I figured from the camouflage :D.

Do you have a Finnish heritage? I noticed you have a typical finnish last name.

edit: Sorry, You have. I should have read the posts name more acurately.

bayonetben

Post by bayonetben » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:01 pm

Miku, My ancestors emigrated from Seinajoki in the 1890s, which makes me Ostrobothnian (or so I’m told). My father (2nd generation Finnish-American and 100% Finn) raised me to be proud of being American and to be proud of my Finnish heritage. Unfortunately, all of the Finnish language and culture was lost in the family’s second generation. I used to be a military-military and civil-military liaison officer between Arizona and the Republic of Kazakhstan. Travelling often to Kazakhstan gave me an opportunity back in 2006 to visit Finland (for almost free!). I visited Seinajoki, Tornio, Rovaniemi (bought my first puukko there!), Suomussalmi, (and other points in between). My love for Finland (and pride in my Finnish heritage) grew exponentially during that visit…I long to return to Finland very soon.

Tallin

Post by Tallin » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:30 pm

bayonetben wrote:Just as a side bar, I worked with a number of different foreign forces while in Afghanistan, and nearly all of them; French*, British, Australian, and Italian (I didn't discuss this issue with the Finns) indicated that they preferred our M4 carbine over their own domestic rifle. I read a lot of non-sense (to me) about what a poor weapon the M4 is, and that US troops don't like it. NO soldier that I served with, or have spoken to after their deployment, expressed negative opinion of the M4. Post-deployment surveys have also found that the M4 carbine was well thought of by the US soldiers (to include me).

*The French fought bravely where I served with them, to include a French KIA...all of the French Army jokes may be funny, but hardly accurate about the capabilities of the French soldier.

Ben,

You are a true American Hero!!!

Thank you for your continuing service to our country, and may God keep you safe!

Also, great to hear that the French have changed in a positive way, since the "Vichy French," during World War II.

Eric

"Do not use a hatchet to remove a fly from your friend's forehead."
Chinese Proverb

Tom Doniphon

Post by Tom Doniphon » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:13 pm

Ben I hope you traded him your M4 for that Valmet\Sako!

Sako92S
Site Admin

Post by Sako92S » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:34 am

bayonetben wrote:Miku, My ancestors emigrated from Seinajoki in the 1890s, which makes me Ostrobothnian (or so I’m told).
Your ancestors are from "Pohjanmaa" like mine from my mothers side.
Luoma is traditional name on that area like places in Kauhava and Ala-Harma. :)
Building Galil/RK62/95 clone

Miku

Post by Miku » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:13 pm

My father and his both parents come from the Pohjanmaa (Ostrobotnia) region. Haapavesi to be exact. I live in southern Finland, Uusimaa region and visited Seinäjoki just last weekend :D
It is nice to see that You have tracked Your heritage all the way back here!

Ostrobotnians (Especially southern Otrobotnia like Seinäjoki) are well know for their hot temper here in Finland. Ostrobotnian character is known to be honest straight backed and always right. The saying "Soot vääräs, moon oikees", meaning "You´re wrong, I´m right" with southern Ostrobotnian dialect is very describeing when speaking of "Pohjalainen".

:D

Miku
50% Ostrobotnian

bayonetben

Post by bayonetben » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:32 pm

Miku,
Thank you for telling me about Ostrobotnian traits...funny, both my father and I have a bad temper...now I know why (it's not our fault, it's in our genes). I have heard a story (legend) about Ostrobotnian soldiers (I assume SKY troops) during the Winter War having to be "chained to trees" to keep them from attacking the Soviets before they were ordered to. It sounds like a legend...but a damn good legend!

I hope to visit Finland again and soon. I want to spend more time in Seinajoki (perhaps visit relatives that I've never met), and also spend more time in Suomussalmi. I'd really like to do a detailed, historical "terrain-walk" over the whole battlefield so I can get a better understanding of what happened there.
Ben