Valmet Bayonet - not marked?

Discussion forum for all things Valmet!

Moderator: AGG

ShowmeSA
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:16 pm

Valmet Bayonet - not marked?

Post by ShowmeSA » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:27 pm

Hi all - first time user here!

I have an inquiry on a bayonet I have in my possession. From what I've researched so far its for a Valmet rifle of some variety. I've seen lots of the same types of bayonets that have "Fiskars" on the plastic handle, but the one I have does not. It also has "Valmet" over the words "Tourulan Tehdas" on the right side of the blade (as you would see it on the rifle), and a picture of an AK-like (Valmet?) rifle on the left side. The blade is also somewhat shiny (with some darkening from age) as opposed to the black Fiskars models I've seen. I'm guessing this may be an OEM bayonet directly from Valmet and not aftermarket by Fiskars?

Please let me know all about this bayonet and possibly what its worth in the open market. Thanks!!

Tallin
Posts: 731
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:42 pm

Re: Valmet Bayonet - not marked?

Post by Tallin » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:54 pm

ShowmeSA wrote:Hi all - first time user here!

I have an inquiry on a bayonet I have in my possession. From what I've researched so far its for a Valmet rifle of some variety. I've seen lots of the same types of bayonets that have "Fiskars" on the plastic handle, but the one I have does not. It also has "Valmet" over the words "Tourulan Tehdas" on the right side of the blade (as you would see it on the rifle), and a picture of an AK-like (Valmet?) rifle on the left side. The blade is also somewhat shiny (with some darkening from age) as opposed to the black Fiskars models I've seen. I'm guessing this may be an OEM bayonet directly from Valmet and not aftermarket by Fiskars?

Please let me know all about this bayonet and possibly what its worth in the open market. Thanks!!


Welcome to the Forum!

Best way to learn more about it would be to post a picture.

Also, if you would like to sell it, I would be interested. :D :D :D

Eric
"Do not use a hatchet to remove a fly from your friend's forehead."
Chinese Proverb

ShowmeSA
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:16 pm

Post by ShowmeSA » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:08 pm

I'll try to post a pic or two soon.

Oh I forgot to put in the previous post - my sheath is different from all those I've seen to date on the net: whereas the others seem bulky looking and have rivets holding them together, the sheath I have is stitched all around, no rivets at all. And the leather is a buckskin brown, not the black I've seen most have.

ShowmeSA
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:16 pm

Post by ShowmeSA » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:32 pm

pics
Attachments
IMG_1907.JPG
IMG_1904.JPG
IMG_1901.JPG
IMG_1903.JPG
IMG_1902.JPG

ShowmeSA
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:16 pm

Post by ShowmeSA » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:05 pm

Does anybody know about this model bayonet?? Thanks in advance...

ShowmeSA
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:16 pm

Post by ShowmeSA » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:02 pm

ttt

Valmet78
Posts: 114
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:08 pm

Post by Valmet78 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:12 am

I don't see a latch button on it so I imagaine it's not really a bayonet. Fiskars made yours and sold it as a "Pukko" knife, if I am not mistaken. This is a similar one currently listed on ebay.


http://cgi.ebay.com/Valmet-Bayonet-Puuk ... ltDomain_0

ShowmeSA
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:16 pm

Post by ShowmeSA » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:28 pm

If Fiskars made it then why "Valmet" on the blade, and no "Fiskars" on the handle??

I'm not sold on that explanation - but I'll check into it. Thanks.

GoodGuy
Posts: 908
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2003 4:31 am
Location: Virginia

Post by GoodGuy » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:04 pm

It looks like it's a "field knife" rather than a bayonet. Could you clarify? Does the "bayonet" actually have the mechanism for attachment to a Valmet rifle? If I recall correctly, some entities (Fiskars maybe?) manufactured field knives in the early 1960s for Valmet and/or the Finnish military for consideration. I don't ever remember seeing, however, a blade marked with "Valmet" as shown in the photos. I wonder whether it might be some kind of promotional item?
Dallas

Valmet78
Posts: 114
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:08 pm

Post by Valmet78 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:55 pm

ShowmeSA wrote:If Fiskars made it then why "Valmet" on the blade, and no "Fiskars" on the handle??

I'm not sold on that explanation - but I'll check into it. Thanks.
From my understanding, early Fiskars stuff was not marked on the handles. Not until after they went "International" and wanted the name recognition. Valmet, I am told, never made blades and like many other products, optics included, Valmet subcontracted and had their name put on it. Rather like Colt Scopes, although Colt certainly never made one themselves.

Tallin
Posts: 731
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:42 pm

Post by Tallin » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:00 pm

Valmet78 wrote:I don't see a latch button on it so I imagaine it's not really a bayonet. Fiskars made yours and sold it as a "Pukko" knife, if I am not mistaken. This is a similar one currently listed on ebay.


http://cgi.ebay.com/Valmet-Bayonet-Puuk ... ltDomain_0
Excellent explaination, and I totally agree!!!

:D :D :D :D :D

Eric
"Do not use a hatchet to remove a fly from your friend's forehead."
Chinese Proverb

ShowmeSA
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:16 pm

Post by ShowmeSA » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:24 pm

Here's a couple more pics - would the field knife still have the slot for attachment? Could the button be retrofitted if one wanted to install on a rifle?

I do appreciate the feedback from all - thanks

As a matter of record, I've had this bayonet (field knife?) for many years, since at least the early 70's. I believe a family member that served in the Vietnam war brought it back home, not sure where/how he acquired it though.
Attachments
IMG_1914.JPG
IMG_1913.JPG
IMG_1911.JPG

Tallin
Posts: 731
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:42 pm

Post by Tallin » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:07 pm

ShowmeSA wrote:Here's a couple more pics - would the field knife still have the slot for attachment? Could the button be retrofitted if one wanted to install on a rifle?

I do appreciate the feedback from all - thanks

As a matter of record, I've had this bayonet (field knife?) for many years, since at least the early 70's. I believe a family member that served in the Vietnam war brought it back home, not sure where/how he acquired it though.


Retrofitting would first require finding the parts, which are probably nonexistant. Nos Hackman Bayonets with Nos sheaths, are currently on e-bay for $150.00 plus shipping. Great price, as they were $300.00 and up, less then a year ago.

I'm also quite sure, Valmet's, Valmet bayonet's as well as Valmet puukko knives, were never used in Vietnam.

Eric

ShowmeSA
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:16 pm

Post by ShowmeSA » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:52 pm

Sorry, the reference to the Vietnam war was simply to give perspective of when I came to possess the knife, no to infer that it was in any way unsed in that particular conflict.

ShowmeSA
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:16 pm

Post by ShowmeSA » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:37 pm

So, whats a knife like this worth in this condition?

Post Reply