Help,whats the value of a new never fired M78 308and a few?

Discussion forum for all things Valmet!

Moderator: AGG

Sandman007

Help,whats the value of a new never fired M78 308and a few?

Post by Sandman007 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:43 am

Howdy was curious how a person could get top dollar for a Valmet M78 308, new condition never fired with 2 new 20 round clips, Valmet cleaning kit, manual and conversion manual. What would its value be in the USA, and possibly Canada. What are the laws for the sale of this gun in USA (Oregon, and Nevada) and possibly someone in Canada.

How much value does it add to the gun if it has never been fired, would be nice to shoot it before the person sells it.

How do you tell if you have a stamped or milled receiver?

What are my options for clips, is there aftermarket clips that are reliable? the banana clip and 75 Drum looks fun. Is the 75 drum a Valmet brand?

Thanks for any info!

zz_denis

Post by zz_denis » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:06 pm

Value of a gun like that in US with all the accessories would be around $2500-3000 depending on whether or not there are people that REALLY want it.
In Canada, around $4500-5000 give or take a few hundred.
You cant sell a gun to Canada without a ton of paperwork from the State department and such.

Being unfired might add a lot of value to the gun if there is a collector out there who wants an unfired example for his collection. Most people would buy it to shoot though, so being unfired would not make it more desireable for them over a gun in fired, but like-new condition.

Easiest way to tell (from a picture) if a receiver is milled is absence of round rivet heads on the milled receiver, as well as absence of spot welds for the lower rails. In case of M78, the milled receiver end of the stock is slanted like this \ , while the stock for the stamped receiver is vertical "|" at the receiver end.

As for mags in .308 , there were a few aftermarket mags made (MCP), but theyre almost as rare as the originals. None are currently manufactured. "Banana clips" are not in .308 caliber. There are no .308 drums either that would fit the M78. Valmet never produced any drum magazines in any caliber (except for some prototypes, possibly).

Sandman007

Post by Sandman007 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:59 pm

Thanks ZZ Dennis for the info I really appreciate it!

Much difference in performance or jamming with milled versus stamp, which is preferred?

So for clips then what is biggest for 308 the 20 round clip, or is there a bigger one out there?

Because of 308 caliber then I take it stamped receiver versus milled does not become a factor with 308 caliber clips?

Thanks again for your help!

I will post a picture soon, still has a blank registration card too.

nib

Post by nib » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:37 am

Just to pick here. :D :P

Magazine=Box type feeding device with a spring
Clip= Ammunition feed device that retains ammo with a channel.

Garand =Clip Bofors cannon=Clip Stripper clip=clip
AKM=Magazine AR 15 =magazine

Not being a jerk, because I remember when someone told me this.
I just need a 76 milled folder in 7.62 x 39. and I swear to GOD I will stop.

AGG

Post by AGG » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:31 am

nib = jerk--- though, technically, you are correct!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sandman--- do you have the original box? :wink:

Tony

nib

Post by nib » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:00 pm

You will now behold me as King of the Jerks approaching you from the East. :lol:
I just need a 76 milled folder in 7.62 x 39. and I swear to GOD I will stop.

AGG

Post by AGG » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:19 am

nib wrote:You will now behold me as King of the Jerks approaching you from the East. :lol:
Actually, that would be from the West, your highness!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tony

zz_denis

Post by zz_denis » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:04 am

Sandman007 wrote:Thanks ZZ Dennis for the info I really appreciate it!

Much difference in performance or jamming with milled versus stamp, which is preferred?

So for clips then what is biggest for 308 the 20 round clip, or is there a bigger one out there?

Because of 308 caliber then I take it stamped receiver versus milled does not become a factor with 308 caliber clips?

Thanks again for your help!

I will post a picture soon, still has a blank registration card too.
No problem, Sandman. We're here to help. Well... most of us anyway :)

Valmets dont jam often enough to make any conclusions in regards to which receiver design jams less. In theory, Milled receiver should be more reliable, but in reality both receivers are nearly bomb proof.
Stamped receiver is a cost saving measure and offers no advantages over milled (except a minor weight difference). Milled receivers do have some advantages, but most people do not shoot enough for it to make any difference. Milled receiver rifles should be slightly more accurate in theory, and are better suited for sustained rapid fire.

MCP made 30 round mags for .308 M78's. There are some around and they're usually a little cheaper than originals. MCP mags were modified from G3 mags, so if you want larger capacity you should be able to modify a 40rd G3 mag, or even a 50rd G3 drum.

"Because of 308 caliber then I take it stamped receiver versus milled does not become a factor with 308 caliber clips? " - Not sure what you mean by this