WTK: Galil bullet guide in a Valmet?

Discussion forum for all things Valmet!

Moderator: AGG

Ruddiger

WTK: Galil bullet guide in a Valmet?

Post by Ruddiger » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:59 pm

Not trying to beat a dead horse with the known mag interchange issue... I understand that the Valmet feed angle is higher than a Galil, but could things work the other way around? For example, if I replaced the Valmet bullet guide with a Galil guide (and don't worry, I'm not performing this swap on a working Valmet rifle).

Then I might be able use the new Tapco Galil mags, or an AR15 mag adapter, or possibly even Valmet mags, too, depending on how the compliance parts game works out. (Will Valmet mags work in a Galil???)

JMikeSteen
Location: Sitting right next to a gator in the Everglades with a gun in my hand

Post by JMikeSteen » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:46 am

I have never had luck with the 223 mags and the ar adapters just wont fit even if you cut on them. the 308 is a different story,Galil Mags will fit in some Valmet 78s and with minor grinding can be made to fit Valmet 76 milled 308s, I have done it myself, don't talk about feed angles, its perfect. If you are willing to go slow and take small amounts each time they can be made to perform perfectly with a file and then after you kinda know how, you can use a grinder, you don't mess with the front or rear latch just the rear top and some on the side of the body. You don't remove enough to affect physical integrity. I personally have done 10 of the 25 rounder’s and 20 or so 12 rounder’s. By the way, the reason Tony at Tromix quite doing these is that there are variations in the Valmet receivers and in the mags, combine the two and you get a fit to rifle but might not any other rifle. I have a 76 milled that 4 out of 12 25rounders did not even have anything done to them, they are tight but fit perfect and never a misfeed.If you are going to try it, be warned, tack hammers and sledge hammers are made for a reason, two different jobs, If you are impatient or cut your finger on a coke tab, leave these for the Galil owners, otherwise it’s not that hard. You just try to insert it and start slowly removing the areas that show rub marks and soon it will pop in. Get some spray bake on Teflon from Brownells and you got $300 mags for a lot less. PS wait till your wife is gone to use the oven to bake these, stinks but goes away fast
Presidential Primary - vote for 1 of 5 or so *hitheads you don't want.
Presidential Election - vote to stop the other *hithead from winning.
Result, it didn't work.

Roger Nuss

Post by Roger Nuss » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:38 pm

.....did you ever get an answer to your question about installing a galil bullet guide in a valmet 223 m76?

Roger Nuss

Post by Roger Nuss » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:39 pm

.....did you ever get an answer to your question about installing a galil bullet guide in a valmet 223 m76?

Ruddiger

Post by Ruddiger » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:51 am

Roger Nuss wrote:.....did you ever get an answer to your question about installing a galil bullet guide in a valmet 223 m76?
From my own observations:

1) The milled .223 Valmet receiver uses a standard AK-style bullet guide;
2) The milled .223 Valmet receiver is nearly identical to the Galil, except that the Galil uses a different bullet guide (thicker than an AK);
3) The stamped .223 Valmets use a bullet guide which is nearly identical to Galil's;
5) The mags used with the milled .223 Hunter are the same ones used with stamped .223 Valmets (but different bullet guides).
6) The mags used with stamped Valmets have a different feed angle than Galill mags (duh).

The above leads me to believe that it's the chamber height difference between Galils and stamped Valmets which necessitates the different proprietary mags (and not the bullet guide). Likewise, if you were to swap bullet guides between a milled and stamped .223 Valmet, the geometry would still be off, even when using factory Valmet mags. Confused yet?

It would be interesting to chart the development of the Galil from its Valmet roots. I'll bet you'll find that somewhere along the line, a stamped Valmet bullet guide made its way over to the final milled Galil.

Roger Nuss

Post by Roger Nuss » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:59 am

Yup, totally confused lol.....so, forget that idea....thanks for the data, and the prompt reply