Rail On Scope Base

Discussion forum for all things Valmet!

Moderator: AGG

chuter

Rail On Scope Base

Post by chuter » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:41 pm

I surrendered to the dark forces of the picatinny rail. I've been looking for a good scope for my Valmet base and rings on my M-76. While the base and rings are true Valmet, the receiver cover is, I fear, a converted AK cover.
Here's a photo (hopefully) of the attachment of a picatinny rail to a Valmet scope base. Purists, unite to run me out of town on a rail. I know, I added new holes to a beautiful base. Sorry. I have a red dot scope on the way that will fit well and increase the use of this great gun.
I won't have a chance to use it for another month or so but I'll follow up with a report on how the scope performs on this mount.
Attachments
Valmet Rail.JPG

besolo

Good idea!

Post by besolo » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:16 am

Thanx for the picture!

I was also playing with the idea to mount a picatinny rail on my spare top cover (and then installing a red dot or a scope).

What kind of picatinny rail did you use? It looks so ...big? :shock: And did you make it that high to look over the front sight?

And could you also post some pictures of the holes you drilled in the top cover?

Much appriciated!

chuter

Post by chuter » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:50 am

Long story. I've been looking to mount a scope for a while. I found the cover at a local gun show about six years ago and started the search for a Valmet or compatible scope. I tried various non-Valmet scopes and was not happy.
I wanted to try to get the rail drilled for the same holes already in the base for the rings. My gun smith really wanted to use all three rail holes for stability so I said OK and he drilled for the rail. The holes are "universal" so I can put a shorter rail on if needed. That rail is one he had on hand and was the shortest he had. I'm still looking around for a 40+mm red dot scope for it.
There are some real Valmet scope mount covers and bases around. I saw one listed on this site's classifieds earlier this month. It sold almost instantly. The cover I have is a converted AK cover. It was sold to me as a "real" Valmet cover and I didn't know what to look for so I bought it. the base is a real Valmet base but the cover is not. I forget who did the "fake" covers but they made a bunch of them and they are available too. They work but as a collector, they are not "real".
Good luck and maybe post what you come up with.

besolo

Post by besolo » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:32 am

Hi Chuter,

Ok, thanks for the elaborate explanation! I think I'll buy one of those cheap picatinny rails from ebay to experiment with. The top cover I have, doesn't have much room if one removes the rear sight. I only hope that that an installation of a rail on the top cover is strong enough (less my scope or red dot looses its zero position).

I'll be posting some pics if the configuration is finished!

chuter

Post by chuter » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:07 pm

besolo:
Here's a couple shots of the inside of the cover. You don't have much room in there. Note how the Valmet cover rail was welded to the cover then cleaned up so there are no protrusions inside the cover.
If you can find a cover with the Valmet rail attached, real or AK conversion, I think you'd be ahead of the curve.
Attachments
Inside Rail 1.JPG
Inside Rail 2.JPG

besolo

Post by besolo » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:11 pm

Ok, thanx for the pictures. Tomorrow I will look under both covers to see if there's a difference (funny that I didn't do that before I got this idea to place a rail on top of it). I will place some pics too.

But for now I'm gonna enjoy New Years Eve! A hour or two and we'll be celebrating the coming of a new year!

Best wishes for 2010![/i][/code]

chuter

Post by chuter » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:24 pm

"Finished" product... for now. It's a little high for a cheek weld but for short ranges it should be just fine. Range report when it warms up.
Attachments
Cover + Scope 1.JPG

besolo

Post by besolo » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:29 am

It looks kewl!!!

I have ordered an AK-47 top cover with a picatinny rail (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=714473) it's a gamble if this one will fit my Valmet but for that price I'm willing to take my changes. I will let you know if it fits (shipping takes a few weeks so we have to be patient).

Let us know how it works out on the range!

chuter

Post by chuter » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:25 am

I finally had a chance to try the Red Dot on my 76. The first couple shots missed the target. They were very high and right. After some considerable adjusting she prints on the "X" with effortless consistency. The receiver cover is nice and snug so it makes a decent scope platform.
The scope is a bit high for a cheek weld but it works for backyard "tactical" applications.