Whats the 411 on my bayonet?

Discussion forum for all things Valmet!

Moderator: AGG

c3nthusiast

Whats the 411 on my bayonet?

Post by c3nthusiast » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:21 am

Last edited by c3nthusiast on Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GoodGuy

Post by GoodGuy » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:50 am

Valmet bayonets, in general, are not what I'd call rare, but they're not all that common either (at least here in the USA). With that said, their owners tend to hang onto them, so they don't appear for sale very often. When they do go on sale, they command premium prices compared to what they sold for in the past.

In my experience, most Fiskars examples have green reindeer leather sheaths and Hackman examples have black synthetic sheaths. The tan sheath in your photo might indicate that your example was for "dress" events (parades, honor guards, etc.).
Dallas

AGG

Post by AGG » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:46 am

I think that the tan leather sheath is the rarer of the two!!! :shock:

Tony

CelticSword
Site Admin

Post by CelticSword » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:14 pm

Tony - I think the Valmet box is the rarest thing in the photos :shock:

AGG

Post by AGG » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:05 am

CelticSword wrote:Tony - I think the Valmet box is the rarest thing in the photos :shock:
Nonsense--- there is one FS on GB for $300.00!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
However, you are probably correct. :D

Tony

mickey

Post by mickey » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:36 am

hackman bayonets are probably the most rare in the US since the fiskars versions were the ones imported with rifles. doesnt mean that the hackmans are worth more though.... i have a black leather scabbard as well as the synthetic scabbard for the hackmans. ive also seen a navy blue and a white leather scabbard for the fiskars which i tend to think are the rarest scabbards for the bayo's followed by the tan leather. the hackmans are the most current issue i believe and can only buy them from finland. fiskars bayonets take a little more searching stateside to find a good one than the hackman or unmarked. keep it and find one of each for the collection.