.308 Yugo Mags in Valmet M76 or Hunter

Discussion forum for all things Valmet!

Moderator: AGG

Jimbob

.308 Yugo Mags in Valmet M76 or Hunter

Post by Jimbob » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:26 am

I have been seeing a lot of Mitchel Yugo .308 mags over on Sturm. Anyone know if these will work in the Hunter or M76? Geometry and mag catch should be similar.

MickB

Post by MickB » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:51 am

About 7 years ago, a local shop had a Yugo .308 RPK and on the shelf were four .308 factory Valmet mags, still in the factory bags. I suggested the same thing, but the Valmet mags would not fit the Yugo.
I therefore suspect the Yugo mags would not work in the Valmet without modifications.

Mick

tmbk2

Post by tmbk2 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:39 pm

Old thread but I have new info, the yugo m77 mag will not fit a Valmet m76 / Hunter. Just not even close, I fooled around with them and there just isn't any way to make it work like you can a Galil or a converted M14 type. Cheers!

D.Brown

Post by D.Brown » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:12 am

Lets assume, contrary to the fact, that they fit and locked in just fine. The feed angle is still not likely to work. The result, bullets shoved back into the brass when the bullet strikes the barrel face on insertion into the chamber. This will result in an extreme over pressure. Search the web and you will find photos of a Valmet .223 trunnion destroyed when Galil magazines were used in the rifle. Several Valmets have been rebuilt for this very reason.

Yugo and Valmet rifles are difficult and expensive to replace. Your face and life are NOT to be risked to save a few dollars. IF you can afford an expensive rifle, treat it and yourself to the proper magazines for the damn thing.

Some here will disagree, but, they knew the risk and measured twice before using the first time.

DB
Jurisprudence, the daughter of philosophy willing to compromise herself for profit.