New to forum, New to me M76

Discussion forum for all things Valmet!

Moderator: AGG

HenryIV

New to forum, New to me M76

Post by HenryIV » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:17 am

Hey Folks,

I am a longtime Valmet fan, and just recently bought a new-to-me M76 off Gunbroker. It is a stamped receiver fixed stock model. I already own 3 other Valmets, a folding "M7" (It seem to be a M76 that is marked M7 for some reason. Anyone ever seen one marked this way before?), a M62 and a .308 version.

The new M76 is in great external shape. It has likely sat in a safe most of its life. It was internally pretty dirty when it arrived. The bore looked awful at first, just a almost-fuzzy black tube. The bolt face was caked in red primer sealant gunk. It has old dried out grease on most external surfaces. I think a previous owner shot half a case of Wolf through it and put it away dirty. The rifle really needed to find a good home. I'm glad I found it.

I'm happy to report that after several hours of cleaning it looks great. The bore looks excellent with the heavy coat of fouling removed. The bolt and the rest are also in excelent shape now that they are clean.

I noticed that the effort to cycle the bolt carrier seemed too light when I first picked up the rifle. During disassembly I noticed that the recoil spring has been "Bubba'ed". One end looks to have been cut to shorten/lighten the spring. Now when you let the bolt carrier run forward from the rear the bolt and carrier actually bounce open before finally coming to rest closed. I wonder it the prior owner was having cycling issues with under-powered ammo and cut the spring to try to improve function?

What do you all recommend as a replacement spring? Will any regular AK spring for a 7.62X39 rifle work?

HenryIV

AGG

Re: New to forum, New to me M76

Post by AGG » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:57 pm

Henry,

Welcome to the site, and congratulations on the acquisition!!! :D
For a replacement RS, check Gunbroker (specifically seller "hi_vel" in Finland). :wink:

Tony

HenryIV

Re: New to forum, New to me M76

Post by HenryIV » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:07 am

Thanks for the lead on a replacement spring.

HenryIV