Norinco Hunter to Valmet Clone Conversion. Updated 6-21.

If you have a collection that you're proud of or if you just want to show off that cool pic this is the place to post.

Moderator: Tallin

762AP

Norinco Hunter to Valmet Clone Conversion. Updated 6-21.

Post by 762AP » Sun May 18, 2014 10:10 am

Work in Progress.
I started out with this, Hunter with matching numbers top cover, it has the hold down ears like the SAKO rifles, so right there I have to utilize it instead of the 78 sight mounting set up.
Also, has the Hunter/Galil type gas block, so again, going to use it instead of the 78 type front sight/flash hider unit.

The mag catch unit on the Hunter is the Chinese 2 rivet pattern, the Galil unit I'm using is 4 rivet. Not sure what I'll have welded up, the Galil rivet holes or the receiver rivet holes, but one way or the other, I'll get it done.

Original TG unit removed.

Original top cover with Valmet 76 rear sight housing. I'll remove the Chinese rear sight and have the Valmet base welded on.

Sunday afternoon mock up, a little inspiration to keep it going.

Added 5-25.
Got the Chinese rear peep sight off the top cover.
Started to drill through the spot weld, broke a couple bits, ended up finishing it off with a Dremel stone bit, then popping it off with a screw driver and hammer.

Then, went to work with the Finnish welds on the Valmet rear sight unit.
Little bit with a Dremel cutoff wheel, and had it pretty much flat.

The Chicom top cover is almost as wide as the bottom ears on the Valmet rear sight, so it'll take a little filing to get it to fit over, it sits a little high right now. I thought about taking the bottom ears off, it would be easiest, but wouldn't look right.

The pistol grip also had some extra holes in it when I got it, decided to fill those with JB weld.
First, put a piece of plastic wrapped around a paper tube inside to keep as much JB weld as possible from leeching in.

Then, filled the holes with it, and wrapped tape around to try and control it while it set.

After a couple days, it's set. Sanded down, found some low spots, so time to fill it up again.

Maybe more tomorrow.
Thanks.
Last edited by 762AP on Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

E. Blake

Post by E. Blake » Sun May 18, 2014 6:19 pm

Wow; looking great!

People like us are either geniuses or we are mad as hatters. Personally, I think you're a genius! The project is looking great!

On the other hand, I don't think there is any doubt in our wives' minds which one we are.

:D

Keep us posted as your project progresses! Hoo-ahh!!

trikerjay

Post by trikerjay » Sun May 18, 2014 9:25 pm

Very cool. Coming together nicely. I emailed you a pic of what I did for the mag catch. I welded up the holes in the mag catch itself and redrilled the holes to match the receiver.

AGG

Post by AGG » Mon May 19, 2014 7:29 am

That is looking good!!! :D

Tony

riderboy

Post by riderboy » Tue May 27, 2014 8:38 am

Wow! That's fabulous. You really have a nice rifle going there!

762AP

Post by 762AP » Tue May 27, 2014 4:58 pm

riderboy wrote:Wow! That's fabulous. You really have a nice rifle going there!
Thanks, but I couldn't have done it without your generous help. :wink:
Also, need to thank E. Blake for his contribution.

762AP

Post by 762AP » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:08 pm

Got some more parts for the conversion.
Picked up a like new SA R-4 gas tube, R-4 front sight unit and screws.
The screws thread in the Chinese gas block, but the heads are a bit larger.
And, the R-4 gas tube is about 1/8" shorter than the Chinese one.
The SA front sight base is larger than the Chinese one, so I'm either needing to find a Galil GB for this, or do some major modding on these parts.

trikerjay

Post by trikerjay » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:20 pm

Still making steady progress I see. Darn I was really hoping that front sight would have worked with out much modification. I still need to find me a plastic pistol grip and talk E. Blake into making me a buttstock just like yours. Keep up the good work cant wait to see your finished product. Later Jay Image

AGG

Post by AGG » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:20 pm

Jay,

Is that yours??? :shock:
Very nice. :D

Tony

trikerjay

Post by trikerjay » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:54 pm

Thanks bud. Yep that's the one I built a couple years ago. Took quite a while to find all the parts but E.Blake was essential. He made the beautiful butt stock but I just think the M78 style would go better with the long barrel and other M78 attributes I went with on mine.

trikerjay

Post by trikerjay » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:46 pm

Mine is finally done. (Still looking for a plastic Valmet pistol grip) Here is my Polytech Hunter M78 clone. Hows yours coming along 762AP? Image

762AP

Post by 762AP » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:51 pm

NICE!
That stock really works with it.
I'm still waiting on an AR front HG cap, I'll try and update the deleted pics and post some new this weekend.
I ended up changing ISPs a couple weeks ago, lost a bunch of photos and access to some sites, but should be back to speed in a while.