Merry Christmas!

If you have a collection that you're proud of or if you just want to show off that cool pic this is the place to post.

Moderator: Tallin

E. Blake

Merry Christmas!

Post by E. Blake » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:29 am

Thanks to the courtesy of a couple of accomodating chaps over in Middle Tennessee, I was able to enjoy an early Christmas present: the installation of an original M-71/78 gas tube w/rear-sight housing on my M-71 clone.

Once the smith installed the gas tube, we realized that the piston from the original Norinco rifle (the "donor" rifle) wouldn't work, because the Valmet tube didn't have the little centering "dimples."

So I went to GunBroker to see if I might possibly find a Galil gas piston. A fellow in Cookeville, TN, had one advertised for $20! I no sooner hit the "buy now" button than he had it wrapped and shipped! I'm pretty sure it got to my house the same day my money order reached his mail box. It had never been installed on a bolt carrier--absolutely pristine.

This has now officially become my (other) favorite Valmet clone.

Thanks to both of these guys for selling, swapping, and otherwise making the last remaining parts available.

Obviously they understand what a burden it is to have OCD and are sympathetic!

Merry Christmas, everyone!

E. Blake
Attachments
correct sight.jpg

AGG

Post by AGG » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:45 am

That is a gorgeous build!!! :shock:

Tony

E. Blake

Gracias

Post by E. Blake » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:34 pm

Thanks for the kind words Tony.

My only siginifcant contribution was the buttstock--which I carved from a block of walnut that I purchased locally. Credit for the real artistry has to go to my gunsmith. He is the one who made all the magic. He even welded up the two standard AK mag catch housings that I had cut up to create the Valmet-ish looking one you see on the rifle now.

Best wishes for a Merry Christmas,

E.B.

Tom Doniphon

Post by Tom Doniphon » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:16 pm

If you keep this up you are going to raise the value of Chinese rifles across America.

E. Blake

No kiddin!

Post by E. Blake » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:13 pm

I used to be able to find Norinco Hunters for $300 or less.

NOT ANY MORE!!! :shock:

ttman

Post by ttman » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:31 am

unbelievable conversion! best conversion I have seen to date.

E. Blake

Thanks

Post by E. Blake » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:19 pm

Thank you for that good word, TTMAN,

If you'll look closely at the bottom of the mag, you'll see it's also been "re-profiled." I added a lanyard ring to mimic the appearance of the original 30-rd mag that was used in 7.62 X 39 valmet models.

E.